Unexpected Changes | Teen Ink

Unexpected Changes

February 16, 2010
By teamsbwriter SILVER, Alexandria, Virginia
teamsbwriter SILVER, Alexandria, Virginia
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself." -The Alchemist


Her dream that night had her truly thinking. What if the girls were right? She needed to let Mark in, but she didn’t know how. Sabrina looked at the clock and grabbed her bag. She was going to be late to rehearsal again if she didn’t leave now. This week was the quickstep. It was all about posture and unison. She was used to dancing as an individual. This ballroom dancing was turning out to be harder than she thought it would be, but at least she is giving it a shot. Sabrina got to the studio and ran into the bathroom to change before dancing. She got into her dancing outfit and jumped into the studio where Mark was waiting for her.

“Hey Bri,” he said.

“Hey Marky,” Sabrina replied.

“Ready to start?”

“Of course.”

“Alright. The Quickstep. What do you know about it?”

“That it’s quick,” she replied.

“Very good. It is quick,” he laughed.
So the lessons began and she had trouble catching on to this dance. Her frame was a big problem.

“Arm,” Mark snapped.

“Dude I totally had my arm right,” she said, laughing.

“Dude you totally did not,” Mark replied, joking and laughing.

“I did,” she said.
They started again and the frame was coming slowly but surely. Sabrina was letting him, but it was like setting herself up for hurt and disappointment. Her dreams were giving her two messages and it was way too confusing for her. Rehearsal ended on a good note. Sabrina didn’t know what to do anymore about Mark. She called Kiely.

“Hey,” Kiely said.

“Hey Ki Ki.”

“What’s wrong girl?”

“Mark.”

“Did he hurt you?”

“No.”

“Tell me the truth.”

“He didn’t I swear. I just keep having weird dreams about him. It is telling me two things.”

“What?”

“It is telling me to let him in, but then it is telling me not too. I’m just getting confused. I feel like I shouldn’t be doing this with him. I think if I had Derek as a partner this wouldn’t be happening.”

“Don’t worry about it Sabrina. Just go with what your heart says. Like Adrienne and I said, let your heart make the choice.”

“Okay,” she said.

“Alright. Oh! I’ve got to go! I’ll talk with you later girl,” she rushed in as she hung up the phone.
Sabrina heard the dial tone and then pushed the button to end call on the screen. She felt the tears come to her eyes. Sabrina was so overwhelmed that she just wanted to cry. A knock came from the door.

“Just a second,” she said as she pulled herself together.

“Okay,” she heard Mark say through the shut door.
She ran to the door and opened it.

“Hey,” she said.

“Hi. Was I interrupting anything?”

“No. No, you weren’t.”
They stood there for a couple of seconds.

“Do you want to come in,” Sabrina asked.

“That would be great.”
The two walked into her room.

“So what’s up,” Sabrina asked.

“Just wanted to talk with you that’s all. We only get to talk about dancing when in rehearsal. I wanted to get to know you that is all.”

“Oh. Okay. What do you want to know?”

“Anything.”
They started talking about themselves and it felt like they had been friends forever and it was just beginning to bud into something more.

“I’ve got a serious question,” he said.
Her heart stopped.

“Do you believe in love at first sight?”