One Moment | Teen Ink

One Moment MAG

It's unusually cold today. The bitter wind is biting at my face, and of course he's complaining about his ears, again. But as loving as he is, he's more concerned with my well-being, so I'm wearing his ear warmers. Chinatown is bustling with activity. Everywhere, people are strutting and shoving. Vibrant colors, sounds, and smells surround me like a blanket.

This place could be overwhelming and confusing and scary, but with him I am at peace. We are standing together; he's holding me close. I could stay this way forever - it's a perfect moment. His love makes me secure and safe, a rare thing in this hateful world. We begin walking again, smiling and holding hands, fingers interlocked. A few moments later, a man turns the corner. A jolt of fear tears through me. He is holding a gun nonchalantly at his side. His long black trenchcoat is blowing around him, his long knotted hair hanging in his face. He lifts the gun and my eyes lock onto the cold, hard, resolute anger in his.

I freeze. I feel my love's hand in mine. Almost in slow motion, this crazed man begins his slaughter. I feel cold rushes of air fly past me. In a terrified daze, I begin to turn, but before I see, I can feel the bullets ripping through him. His hand tightens on mine as he falls. I can feel his pain, his shock, his fear.

I look up - the man is gone; I look down - I see my love. His eyes are closed, his blood seeping slowly out of his back and chest. I am distant, numb. His eyes, his brown eyes, open slowly. I know, without a doubt, this is the last time I will look at him and see his love through his eyes. My pain, fear, the love and hate pour into me like needles into my veins. Cold shock washes over me. My heart and all of my soul pour out through my tears, uncontrolled. He looks up; my shaking hands move to his bloodied face. I hold his body to mine; my love will give him strength. His dry lips mouth the words "I love you." I silently scream - my heart breaks. I find my voice, and through choking sobs, manage the words "I love you too, forever, forever ..." I feel his life slip away.

A part of me dies. A gaping hole of emptiness and loneliness seep into my heart where he used to thrive. I'm still holding him to me for fear that if I let go, my world will completely fall apart and I will lose everything. I close my eyes. My trembling lips kiss his now-lifeless ones. A wet trickle of blood is at the corner of his mouth. His bittersweet taste fills me. I can't leave, I can't move or stand.

My heart, my love, my life has been taken in a moment's time. I can only lean forward and lay my body next to his. I hold him so close, we are like one, and I cry.

i love this !

MyTeacherMadeMeDoIt PLATINUM, Grand Haven, Michigan

I dream of a world where chickens are free to cross the rode without their motives being questioned. (A friend)

Touching that is really sad... it sounds like a story that i wrote its called Rated R it would be cool if you read it and told me wat u thought

tgir85 GOLD said...
tgir85 GOLD, Katy, Texas

"I only put you through that test to see if you would keep the faith or give up..."

....