Quitting the Game | Teen Ink

Quitting the Game MAG

"What do youthink?" she asked, parading through the aisles of a department store. We hadcruised the mall so many times I'd lost track of the ones we'd entered. She did alittle ballerina twirl, causing the tank top she was modeling to expose hertanned stomach and pierced belly button, reminding me why I was putting up withall this.

"Do you like it?" she asked.

I didn't answerright away. She wanted me to say she looked great, wonderful, terrific. Shewanted to hear she had a beautiful body and that all the guys wanted her. Sheneeded to know because she thought she didn't have anything else and that nothingelse was needed.

"Well?" she prodded, frowning at myhesitation and looking apprehensive. I knew exactly what she was thinking. It wasalmost scary how I could read her thoughts. I knew what she wanted to hear. Ikept telling myself to whisper in her ear that she's gorgeous, that I've neverknown anyone like her, that I want her. That's all I'd have to say. She'd buy it;she always did. She believes anything from guys.

As the seconds tickedby, she looked like she was trying to gain control of her facial muscles. She puton a seductive smile she knew would grab any guy.

"You said if I letyou come, you would tell me what you thought of my new summer outfits," shecomplained.

"I did, didn't I?" I said smiling, but I stilldidn't answer. I wasn't so sure now that I wanted to be grabbed by thatfull-lipped pout.

"Stop playing games with me," she said sulkilyas she spun a strand of long blond hair around her finger. I'd heard that voicebefore, that I'm-gonna-want-something-later-if-you-know-what-I-mean voice sheused on all the gullibles.

"All right," I said frankly, startingto turn toward the nearest exit.

"Wait," she said in disbelief."What are you doing?"

"What do you think?" I said."I'm leaving your arena; I'm quitting the game." I felt her starefollow me down the escalator. I knew her gaze of remorse would soon fall uponanyone willing to give her the attention she needed. She wouldn't dwell on melong; I'd shaken her image.

i love this !

PoetryIsLife BRONZE, Newark, Delaware

The people you need in your life are the ones that need you in theirs

Nice even though Fiction isnt real.That seemed real and believable

leena.k SILVER said...
leena.k SILVER, Doha, Alaska
awesome. hehe nice stand!

Spritz said...
Spritz, Newark, New Jersey

.

Nice job. This was awesome (: