Where Were You Last Night? | Teen Ink

Where Were You Last Night?

Where were you last night? It's my mother's favorite phrase. Where were you when the baby was crying? Where were you to take your little sister to soccer practice? Where were you when I needed you? When I was drunk and passed out on the kitchen floor? Where were you? God I'm not the adult, the mother, the role model. That's your job remember. No wonder my thirteen-year-old brother's an alcoholic. No wonder my fifteen-year-old sister's a slut. I can't do it anymore. I can't take it. I'm too young to be the adult, the mother, the role model. That's not my job remember. So let me ask you something mom....Where were you last night? Where were you when I needed you? When I needed a mother and not an alcoholic? Where were you when the baby was crying for his mommy? Where were you when your daughter needed her mother at the soccer game, cheering her on? Where were you? Because I'll tell you where I was mom...I was out being a kid. I was taking back a life that is rightfully mine. That's where I was last night mom. Where were you?