How to Find Your Mom’s Stash | Teen Ink

How to Find Your Mom’s Stash MAG

By Anonymous

First of all, be naive. Be curious and easily swayed. Listen to your friends when they say they want to help you, even though you had no intention of looking for it on your own, even though they’re the ones who put the idea in your head. Just act like you were going to go on a big search anyway.

Button up your army jacket and lead them to your tiny ranch-style tract house in the historical part of town. Giggle along with them, mocking your mom’s drug and alcohol habits. Tell of her strange activities, and embellish the stories a bit. Chuckle slightly while telling the tale about the catnip in the cabinet and how you were never allowed to feed it to the cat, letting them assume it was a stash. Don’t tell them that the reason was because the cat was big and mean and bit your tiny hands whenever you tried.

Grab your boyfriend’s hand and hope that he can see that you’re actually scared. Hope that he knows you well enough after these three months to see that this worries you and that most drug use makes you uneasy. Don’t act standoffish or hurt when he shows no sign of understanding. If you show him you care, it won’t be a treasure hunt anymore. If it’s not a treasure hunt, they’ll lose interest. As long as you’re friendly, they’ll continue to make jokes and the truth of how scary this is will never have to meet your eyes.

Don’t let them know how straight-edge you really are. Don’t tell them that deep down, the word f--k still offends you. Don’t say that you were oblivious to your mom’s drug use until they came around. If you do, they’re going to think you’re an idiot, and as far as this group goes, that’s the beginning of the end. All the respect they have for you will be gone and that means going back to how you were before. Sitting at home with your mom and sister on Saturday nights unaware of what other kids your age are doing, and no way of getting out there to find out.

That is the last thing you want. You’ve spent so many years longing to know what it is to be a teenager, and while your definition has changed over the last few months, you’ve finally made it. Your new definition involves the word angst and replaces a letter jacket with a camouflage one. It means trading rehearsals for the school musical for a drug search you never before thought was necessary. Having obtained this new sense of self, you are not willing to give it up. At least these friends seem to enjoy this version of you.

When you get to the police station, jaywalk across Canterbury Lane and cut through the open field. Try not to look at your feet; it will only get you thinking about snakes. If you’re caught staring at the grass and watching your combat boots too closely, Jessica will give her customary commentary and there’s the possibility you’ll be laughed at.

The best course of action is to remain quiet but to listen closely. Laugh at their jokes but make few of your own, speak only if you have something worthwhile to say. That is probably the most important thing. Be one hundred percent positive that what you have to say is worth saying.

You’ll reach your tiny abode just after the field. If your mother knew that you had friends with you, she wouldn’t be happy. She thinks your friends are pyromaniacs and drug addicts. She’s not far off, you know.

Lead them to the bedroom down the hall, the one across from yours. As you pass, shut your door. It’s messy in there. You have Simpsons sheets on your bed, which the mob recently decided to be foolish. You agreed, if only to avoid conflict. Your arguments aren’t worth stating. You won’t win.

In your mother’s room, have them look in all the usual places. The closet, the TV stand. Take the bedside table yourself. The chances are too good that embarrassing things are in there, and your mother is already the butt of jokes. While you’ve been hurt by your mother a lot recently, you still feel as if they’re hurting you when they say things about her. If this happens, just think of how she screamed at you about your calorie counting and said you were stupid. Remember specifically how she refused to take you to a counselor. Remember how she said you should manage it on your own. Remember you were only 13. The feeling will subside.

Sam will look under the bed and call you over. Giggle slightly at the pot that everyone knew was there. Don’t show so much shock at the cocaine. Just look nervous, but strong. Everyone else will look unsure. Act as if you knew somehow. Note that you really had no idea and you wouldn’t have recognized it if Sam hadn’t said what it was.

After you find it, send them home. They won’t be very supportive, but they’ll try to pretend. They’re all too confused to be genuine. Kiss your boyfriend good-bye, and when you shut the door behind all of them, burst into tears. But certainly not until then.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 42 comments.


on Mar. 25 2019 at 1:47 pm
Jordi2112 PLATINUM, Gardner, Kansas
29 articles 6 photos 27 comments

Favorite Quote:
“I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
― Marilyn Monroe

So good. So sad.

on Dec. 2 2010 at 2:14 pm
this poem is the most moving ive ever red

on Sep. 18 2010 at 3:39 pm
deus-ex-machina14 BRONZE, Stewartsville, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 439 comments

Favorite Quote:
"There are two main tragedies in life. One is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it." -Oscar Wilde

So moving, LOVED IT!!

on Aug. 5 2010 at 8:19 pm
sometimes SILVER, West Windsor, New Jersey
5 articles 2 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not. - Kurt Cobain

Whoa. This was sooooo good.

coly33 BRONZE said...
on Aug. 5 2010 at 1:55 pm
coly33 BRONZE, Lyndhurst, New Jersey
4 articles 0 photos 76 comments

aww thats sooo sad :(

so were the freinds just helping her mom cause at first i thought they were going to do drugs but i somehow i didnt think that would happen in the begining of the story but now i understand it it was very good and interested me

:)


courteycat said...
on Jul. 14 2010 at 11:46 pm
courteycat, Lompoc, California
0 articles 0 photos 32 comments

Favorite Quote:
interesting...

I love the way you wrote this. I love it. Its very well-written and true. KEEP WRITING!

on Jun. 22 2010 at 6:39 pm
sailorchick BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
passion is to the heart as sails are to the boat - american proverb

i like how you right with you as the subject thats really cool

on May. 31 2010 at 9:03 pm
SchuylerSorensen SILVER, Mullica Hill, New Jersey
7 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
The most important things are the hardest things to say. They are the things u get ashamed of because words diminish your feelings - words shrink things that seem timeless when they are in ur head to no more than living size when they are brought out.

Absolutly loved it!

on May. 9 2010 at 10:56 pm
makemelegendary BRONZE, Prescott Valley, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Open your eyes, look within. Are you happy with the life you're living?" -Bob Marley

It's all so real...Everyone must feel these things at one point. Keep your amazing, true style going, keep writing, I loved this!(:

on Apr. 17 2010 at 10:28 pm
coldnightswarmfights SILVER, Dripping Springs, Texas
6 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
Priest: I don't want to hear it. No more horror stories.
Commoner: They are common stories these days. I even heard that the demon living here in Rashômon fled in fear of the ferocity of man.

Beautiful. Utterly devastating for some reason. My eyes certainly watered up towards the end. You're very good at putting the reader within your character's head. Very nice usage of second-person perspective.

on Apr. 17 2010 at 9:55 am
horse95lover BRONZE, New York, New York
4 articles 9 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read" - Groucho Marx

This story is amazing, beautiful and so much more. This is more than the usual story of conformity. Great job!

on Mar. 24 2010 at 4:40 pm
Allessandrea-Rukia SILVER, Hoppers Crossing, Other
7 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
You make a persuasive argument

I really like this. it is written very well, i like the style and flow. when i read the title i was really unsure but after reading the piece i really tihnk that the title is perfect :)

George said...
on Feb. 8 2010 at 1:21 pm
thats really sad

on Dec. 2 2009 at 6:44 pm
whisperingofdawn GOLD, Colorado City, Arizona
17 articles 12 photos 87 comments
nice sarcasm!

on Dec. 2 2009 at 5:52 pm
LeilaniLives PLATINUM, Fort Wayne, Indiana
42 articles 11 photos 128 comments

Favorite Quote:
"They say 'Life's two steps forward and one step back' - But what if I tripped and fell down the whole flight of stairs?"

I absolutely loved this piece. It was genuine and addicting in its flow. Beautiful job.

on Jul. 27 2009 at 4:22 am
I love how the style of writing is so precise- to the point where it's almost distracting (key word: almost).... but in the end, all it all comes together... the situation explains and pulls everything together in a beautiful and sad way. Thank you.

fruity2can said...
on Jul. 27 2009 at 1:01 am
wow! great writing, I totally loved it. It was so true and honest. You really have a talent, you wrote like how people think all day long. I felt like I was in the looking glass of someone's mind when I read this. And that is so hard to put that concept into words on paper.keep it up! And if this story is true, bless you and I can totally relate, I have drastic simalarities to the family problems/friends issue. and if it's not then you're just as amazing of a writer then I thought, that was amazingly realistic and believable!

on Jul. 15 2009 at 9:18 pm
trmpetzetc. SILVER, Laurens, South Carolina
6 articles 0 photos 4 comments
I don't know if this story is true or not. But if it is, please don't lose hope. There is hope out there. Jesus, the Son of God, loves you so very much.He even died for you. You may already know this, but if you don't, please do everything you can to find out more about Him. May God bless you in all you do. And keep writing- you have a great gift.

on Jul. 15 2009 at 2:18 pm
Dandelion PLATINUM, Franklin, Massachusetts
20 articles 8 photos 173 comments
Oh, this is so sad and beautiful! I do hope it doesn't have a hint of truth in it, and isn't it awful how we have to be some careful around our friends like that? I think I only have one friend that I don't have to be cautious around and not have to hope I say just the right thing.

on Jun. 17 2009 at 9:38 pm
Elle Thompson BRONZE, Livonia, Michigan
2 articles 0 photos 39 comments
sad. sad but true. im sure this is a tender place for so many children. i do hope to read more of your writting