Six Uneven Stairs | Teen Ink

Six Uneven Stairs MAG

They are the only ones that trip me. I am the only one who cleans them. Six uneven stairs with uneven boards and splintering sides. Six that are out of place but fit in. Six stairs worn smooth by years of treading shoes. From the window I can see them, but my mother says to stop staring.

Their memories are long. They have felt three generations of feet walking over them. They stay put and go far and watch noiselessly with their inconspicuous staring and silent laughter. This is how they live.

If one cracked under pressure, the others would surely bend like fingers on a piano, each following the last. Live, live, live, stairs whisper as I pass over. They love.

When I am too alone and too uneven to keep living, when I am a drop of salt in the ocean, then I walk over the stairs. When there is nowhere else to walk on the lane. Six that stay in spite of the rain. Six that are above and remain above. For their only purpose is to see and see.

kelly789 said...
i dont get it

DevvyGirl said...
I love this story. It makes readers open themselves up to see what their six uneven stairs are. It is amazing and so gracefull.

Alerat said...
This is so beautiful. I enjoyed each time I read it.