Six Uneven Stairs | Teen Ink

Six Uneven Stairs MAG

They are the only ones that trip me. I am the only one who cleans them. Six uneven stairs with uneven boards and splintering sides. Six that are out of place but fit in. Six stairs worn smooth by years of treading shoes. From the window I can see them, but my mother says to stop staring.

Their memories are long. They have felt three generations of feet walking over them. They stay put and go far and watch noiselessly with their inconspicuous staring and silent laughter. This is how they live.

If one cracked under pressure, the others would surely bend like fingers on a piano, each following the last. Live, live, live, stairs whisper as I pass over. They love.

When I am too alone and too uneven to keep living, when I am a drop of salt in the ocean, then I walk over the stairs. When there is nowhere else to walk on the lane. Six that stay in spite of the rain. Six that are above and remain above. For their only purpose is to see and see.

sleeplessdreamer PLATINUM, Raleigh, North Carolina

"I have always wanted to write in such a way that people say, 'I have always thought that but never found the words for it.'" -anonymous

It had the flow of a poem but I liked that it wasn't. The metaphors were great. Great job!

montana PLATINUM, Parker, Colorado

cliche quotes I have are.....
I know, right? and..... Are you kidding me?

Wonderfall. uhh btw can u check out my work and uhh comment on it? u are appreciated.

AnImE_LoVeR54, National, California

Love Anime!!!
Forever!!!!
I love to read anime books!!!!

ThIs Is A VeRy GoOd StOrY, LoVe It ToO!

KeEp It Up WItH ThE GoOd WoRk...

easy-as-123-ABC SILVER, Palo Alto, California
well done! the metaphor is very good and the piece had a poetic flow to it

bookworm266 GOLD, Urbana, Indiana

"I came, I saw, I conqued."

i think it was beatuful i really loved it

LIKEwhoaa GOLD said...
LIKEwhoaa GOLD, Carrollton, Texas

The important thing is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we could become.
-Charles DuBois

this is beautifully written, i like that it isnt a poem because then you have the choice of whether or not to think of it as poetic. (i did) its also a reallyy good metaphor:) keep writing! ohh and check out some of my stuff <3

YeseniaG SILVER, Livonia, Michigan

Life is what happens when you're busy making plans.

I suppose you'd have to somewhat imaginative to understand this, which I definitely did and loved it. For those that didn't understand, take it for what it means and not for what it says.

Toxic_Wasteland PLATINUM, Andowver, New Jersey

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life... It Goes On."~Robet Frost

i get this!!! the stairs are just a metaphor... this has nothing to do with stairs does it?? no!!! ha i love this cause once i got to the second paraghrph it made sense. it just has a different meaning for whoever reads this

ashwee said...
I don't get it.

sydka said...
There were a few people who said they didn't understand it... How CAN'T you! I guess your writing is meaningful for different people in different ways. I liked it because there are so many ways to apply this to life

I'm sorry but I feel this would work better as a poem.

IMS said...
I don't mean to get you upset but I don't really fully understand the story.

katiekeys said...
wonderfully written. thoughtful diction and depth. i liked the first paragraph the best. i'm glad i gave in to my curiosity about the title and read the actual piece. excellent.

tonganboss said...
i really like this.. i dont know why i juss liked it...lol

good job

shelbylove said...
I absolutly loved this. Such deep meaning and beautifully written. Great job. (:

meggiepones said...
I really liked this! It had so much meaning. Keep up the amazing job:)

shesaidsoo said...
i love this very much.. this story is a wap of metaphors.. i took it as the person in the story using the stairs as a way to get them through the day beacause the stairs symbolized struggle.. and getting through it at that

Tweedle Dee said...
AWESOME!!! it really makes you think and see that no one's perect.

twilightony said...
Very, very beautiful and poetic. A very deep message; the writing is amazing.

stargal77 said...
beautiful...i enjoyed every word