My Granddaughter Valentine | Teen Ink

My Granddaughter Valentine

August 19, 2009
By very_literary SILVER, Ballwin, Missouri
very_literary SILVER, Ballwin, Missouri
7 articles 0 photos 46 comments

In 1815 I witnessed the birth of an angel into this world. This angel would soon become my closest companion and granddaughter, Valentine de Villefort. I watched her blossom into the flower of her youth, enjoying every minute of her merry company she provided me with. Then, when our bond was at its strongest, tragedy struck. My dear angel Valentine was to forever disappear from this world. Our compassionate Valentine, mirthful and benign, has now departed into another world. So let us grieve, let us grieve and mourn over the loss of a perfect angel from this world.



We can remember Valentine de Villefort in many aspects. However, the most distinguished things about our dear Valentine de Villefort was her kindness, generosity, and above all, her loyalty to her family. Never once did I see in my long life a person more intent on loyalty to their family than poor Valentine. Oh Valentine, you wept and prayed over the body of many dead yet you were always jubilant and happy for those whom you loved. Oh my dear granddaughter, never once were you uncaring and disrespectful to me even through the most trying times of grief in your life. You were always there at my side then I needed you most, always ready to do whatever it took to comfort me no matter how hard it was. Kind she was to her grandfather, respectful she was to her father, gentle she was with her stepbrother, and loyal she was to her family. Oh Valentine, thou hath left us, but the memories of thy loyalty to me hath left us not.



The second thing with which we can remember our late Valentine is by her generosity. She was generous with her money and constantly gave what she could to help the needy. Not only did she help the needy, but she also shared with her younger brother, Edouard, many of her possessions. Yet she was generous not only with her possessions, but also with her love. She gave her love to many a person such as me, her father, her step-mother, her step-brother, and many others. Do you see now the generosity of Valentine de Villefort?



How kind she was to every person and creature ever known to man! She was gentle with all people and with nature. Never in her childhood did I see her disturbing any animals in the garden or killing any insects either for her own amusement or even for safety reasons. Then came her kindness to children. When she was from ages 15 to just before she died, she had an undying affection and caring for children. She loved to join their games just to see those small smiles appear on their small, round faces. Many times she would comfort them and care for them if they were in need. And that is yet another way to remember the lovely Valentine de Villefort.



Said Shakespeare once: "Give sorrow words; the grief that does not speak whispers the o'erfraught heart and bids it break." So speak, speak now those words of sorrow and let us weep over the loss of an angel from this world. Let the cause of our mourning be known to all and let us speak. Let us speak of the many accomplishments of this fair angel. Oh God, punish the cruel and heartless killer of our beloved Valentine and reveal him/her to us. Oh God, give Valentine the place she has always deserved and allow her to dwell there forever. I bid thee farewell now oh Valentine, my single beacon of hope in a sea of darkness. A sore day, a grievous day, and the dark night falls.