Ancient Beauty | Teen Ink

Ancient Beauty

By PihuSahai SILVER, Saint Joseph, Michigan
PihuSahai SILVER, Saint Joseph, Michigan

On a rainy summer in India, the sound of birds chirping in the lush, green trees over the Jaigarh fort was interrupted by my cousin’s non-stop complaining. No one could blame him, though. The ancient fort was three-hundred years old and so were the latrines. But I tried not to focus on the rotten smell creeping into my nose as my family and I continued walking on the uphill pavement, the rain slowing down to a drizzle.

All along the path were thick walls of red sandstone with tiny holes; useful to look through to defend the fort in the 1700s. The path led to the watchtower, which loomed over the enormous range; everywhere green - as far as the eye could see. I wanted to capture every square inch of the incredible sight. Down below, trees covered the hills like a canopy and giant boulders were scattered all over the light green grass. Where else am I gonna see a view like this? 

As we stopped at a certain parapet, the rain gave its last breath; a soft breeze settling down on my face. I watched my little cousin jumping in the puddles on the uneven concrete; the dirty water covering her pearly, white sneakers matched her mother’s disapproving look. My eyes strayed over to where my uncle challenged my mom and her three sisters to stand on an embedded ledge. I fed my camera with the four girls’ scared faces before we continued to the palace wing where the queen’s residence was.

As we strolled through the halls of the queen’s residence, we stared in awe at its beauty. When I looked up at the ceiling, I could see small mirrors that glinted in the sunlight. The tour guide told us that the queen wanted these mirrors because as the lamps illuminated the hall, the mirrors would imitate the stars. So even when it’s cloudy, an enchanting night sky would be there. The snow-white pillars on which the ceiling stood were home to such artistic impressions, each one handmade by a skilled craftsman. Peacocks, elephants, tigers - so many details that remained perfectly inscribed. Even after three hundred years, they told a story. 

Next, we trotted outside the residence where a lovely garden awaited us. Four fountains at the center, soft water flowing through the hard stone. The flowing water sounded almost like whispering. It must have a lot to say, I thought jokingly to myself. For 300 years they’ve been in the same spot, witnessing the events of the palace from the time they were built to now, echoing the memories of the palace.

I’ll never forget Jaigarh Fort where I saw true beauty like never before. From the red stone walls to the luscious courtyard, the palace will never fail to make me smile, not just because of how bright the colors were or because of the captivating scenery, but because of how the fort guards the history of life many years ago and keeps that memory alive.