The Boy Who Cried Wolf: Life Changing Version | Teen Ink

The Boy Who Cried Wolf: Life Changing Version

By 3holcomb BRONZE, Nashotah, Wisconsin
3holcomb BRONZE, Nashotah, Wisconsin

My family lives in a small town on the island of Crete. My younger brother Jason, had the job of shepherding the town’s sheep. He can be mischievous and naughty—but he has a way with animals. 

Initially, things were going smoothly. He was handling his responsibilities well. But, one day I heard a commotion. Jason was yelling ‘Wolf! Wolf!’ The entire town came rushing to help. And there was Jason, laughing his head off. The townspeople were annoyed and left. He did this again three more times. The townsfolk were disgusted, and I decided I needed to have a talk with him. 

“Why did you cry wolf when there was no wolf?”

He sheepishly replied, “Because I was bored and lonely, and it was funny when everyone rushed to help.”

“The townspeople don’t trust you anymore.” 

“Yeah I noticed that they were pretty slow the last time they showed up,” he replied. 

“Is there a better way to amuse yourself?” 

“Like what?”

“You could learn an instrument.” I suggested. 

“What kind of instrument?”

“Since ancient times, shepherds have played flutes to calm their flocks, scare off predators, communicate with other shepherds, and pass the time.” 

Jason nodded and smiled. “Yeah, I guess I could try!” 

Jason was a fast learner. Soon, beautiful music floated down to the valley below. Curious townspeople heard the music and came up the hill to find out where it was coming from. They loved the delightful music Jason played for the sheep.

From then on, people came to hear the beautiful music and he wasn’t lonely anymore. The sheep were calm. If a wolf did appear, an intentional high note would scare it off.

I wanted to do "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" because I didn't like the original ending of it. So I made a revised edition. Tried to figure out how the story could have worked better.