Chance | Teen Ink

Chance

February 24, 2023
By foreverandeverandmorever SILVER, Mount Pleasant, Michigan
foreverandeverandmorever SILVER, Mount Pleasant, Michigan
7 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A girl should be a butterfly. Pretty to see, but hard to catch,"
Don't know who wrote this.


I walked to class only to find Nadia sitting next to where I sit. I sighed and walked towards my seat. I sat down and started taking out my stuff. I looked to my right to talk to Ella.

“Hey, El—”

“She’s not sick, Callie,” she whispered, looking at me.

 I swear she can tell exactly what I’m thinking.

“So, why is she sitting next to me?” 

She shrugged. “Maybe because her jerk boyfriend broke her heart, and she finally found out that she was being mean to us. Well, mostly you.” 

My eyes widened. I looked at Nadia, then at Ella, then at Nadia again. Nadia and Max broke up? I opened my mouth to say something, but Ella quickly added something. 

“I’m serious, Call. Why do you think she’s sitting next to you?” She waited, but when I didn’t give her an answer, she continued. “Because she doesn’t want to be anywhere near Max Larson or his new girlfriend,” she said, rolling her eyes. 

“How long have they been broken up?” I asked. 

“Just yesterday. Max announced that they broke up today and that he found someone else.” There was a clear disgust in her voice

“But why is she sitting next to me?” I mumbled. 

The first bell rang, and I looked at Nadia who was reading. When did she start reading? Last time I checked she hated reading!

“Just don’t pay attention to her,”  Ella whispered.

 I nodded. Why would I care in the first place? She made my life miserable up until now. I’m not gonna feel sorry for her, I’m—

“Hey, Callie?” I turned to my left and saw Nadia looking at me. I looked away fast.

“What?” I asked, cold. I could see, from the corner of my eye, that her lips are quivering.

“I’m sorry,” she mumbled. 

I looked at her, disbelief in my eyes. “You're sorry?” I repeated. 

She nodded. 

“Oh, so now you apologize because your boyfriend Max broke up with you?”

“What? No, I—” 

“I don’t want to hear it,” I yelled. 

At, this point, everyone was staring at us, including the teacher. And I didn’t care. I kept going. 

“You ignored me and Ella the whole entire sophomore year just because you were dating Max? Do you know how much it hurts to see your best friend ignore you because of a boy? A boy!”

“He wasn’t just a boy.” 

“I don’t care.” 

“Callie, I—”

Don’t call me Callie.” And that was it, end of conversation.

 The second bell rang, and the teacher went on with the lesson. After class I went to my locker and found a note. I rolled my eyes, knowing who it was from. I ripped it from my locker and opened it. 


Dear Callie,

I’m sorry, like really, sorry. I know what I did back then was terrible, but I know I can’t take back what I did. The reason I was being mean to you all sophomore year was because Max didn’t like me hanging out with you. I know, stupid excuse. Please, please forgive me. I’m really, really, sorry. 

Sincerely,

Nadia

“Wow, that’s something,” I gasped and looked to my right. Ella, stood, there, looking at me. “Well, what are you going to do?” she asked. I crumpled the paper, and threw it in the trash can. 

“Nothing, because, her apology isn’t even very sincere,” I said, slamming my locker. I walked down the hallway. 

“Come on, at least give her a chance?”

 I shook my head. Ella stood in front of me, blocking my way.

“Ella, I’m gonna be late!” I whined. 

Ella gave me a worried look and put her hand on my shoulders.“Calliere Dawson, please give Nadia a chance?” she asked, putting her hands together. 

“You miss her?” 

Ella looked away, then nodded.

 I sighed. “Fine, I’ll give her a chance only because you want me to.” 

She gave me a smile and walked down the hall.  I followed her until I saw Nadia. I forced a smile and waved at her. She waved back. 

Maybe giving her a chance won’t be that bad.


The author's comments:

I compared this to how my life was in third grade