dont know | Teen Ink

dont know

By froggy-chan2 BRONZE, Las Vegas, Nevada
froggy-chan2 BRONZE, Las Vegas, Nevada

We took turns guarding the door but neither of us got much sleep. Ricky looked nervous, and I suddenly felt bad about getting him involved. I shouldn't have shown him the video now the government is after us and I don't know what to do anymore. It all started when I went exploring our so-called haunted library after hours with a camera just in case I found anything. Little did I know what I was getting myself into, I live in a small town just south of Seattle. Every now and then a few tourists stop here before they go back to their travels. Our town has always been kind of isolated from the outside, so if something serious were to happen here no one would know at least that's what I've heard.

As I was exploring I heard weird noises and saw bright lights from one room so I decided to sneak in and there were men in suits talking to a scientist. I couldn't hear much of what they were saying but what I did hear horrified me. They were talking about something I had never heard of. They called it Covid-19. They said it would most likely wipe out most of the human population but it would happen slowly. The scientist said he was working as fast as he could but he needed a bit more time but the man just got mad and threatened to take away his family while throwing papers on the floor in the process.

I got as close as i could and grabbed some of the papers while trying not to make any noise, after i got the papers i ran as fast as i could while being quiet. Once I got home I ran to my room and read the papers but I was just even more horrified by that point. After I had read all of the papers I could I realized there were papers I needed to fully understand what was going on but I didn't have them. Why did the government want to plague the world, is the government working with the governments of other countries surely they were. I have so many questions and no way to get answers.

Three days later I was getting ready for school and realized my favorite pencil was missing. I remember having it with me the night I went to the library. I must have dropped it. I just hope they didn't find it. If they did, I might be in big trouble. I just have to go to school and act like nothing happened and hopefully everything will be the same again. I didn't talk much throughout the day except for asking questions here and there along with helping my group with our presentation. Everything was fine until lunch. I got called to the office before I could eat and when I got there one of the men from the library was there talking to the lady at the front desk. I prayed hoping he wasn't there because of me  but once I walked in he turned around and held out my pencil. I was so scared I couldn't move. I stood there just staring at the pencil then I looked at him and he smiled and said, “better not to stick your nose in things you shouldn't know about”. I grabbed my pencil and raced out of the room to go eat lunch but as I was half way there the bell rang great.

I missed lunch all because of a pencil, so I walked to my next class deciding along the way to tell my best friend what I saw, maybe he knew something. I invited Ricky to my house to look at the papers and the video and he said as long as his parents would let him he would be there. Ricky's mom dropped us off at my house since she went to pick him up. He asked her and she said sure. As we walked in the door something was off. I called for my mom to tell her I was home and Ricky was with me to study but she didn't answer. We searched everywhere but she wasn't home her keys were on the counter it was like she disappeared or maybe she was taken. Her cup of coffee was still warm and she would never leave a good cup of coffee untouched. Ricky and I went to my room only to find that the papers I had from the library were gone. I searched everywhere but it was like they disappeared along with my mom. Ricky called his mom to see if he could stay for the night. She brought him clothes and said it was perfect timing she had a job to do and wasn't gonna be home for three days so i pretended to be my mom and said it was fine that he stayed here while she was gone. Once she left we were able to start researching and figure out everything about everyone who has lived here or has stayed for a month or two. We knew just about everyone in town and knew who’s profession had anything to do with different diseases and medication, basically the medical department but also science. We made a plan that in the morning we are going to pack some bags and then go and talk to anyone we've never talked to before or talk to anyone who seems suspicious. Once we finished it was around noon so we decided to go eat then get our bags and head to the library. I was hoping that when we got home my mom would be there. I missed her so much. Yesterday while in the middle of class the librarian came and told us that in five days the library will be closing until further notice. Ricky and I came to the conclusion that we only have four days to stop them before they finish the virus. I’m hopeful that we can talk to the scientist before he leaves the library and maybe figure out if he has a cure made or if he can use a fake hopefully he answers our questions. The scientist was scared. He was begging for more time to finish it but they said no, then he mentioned a test subject and said that she should have been dead by now. The scientist started arguing with the men saying that it's not ready and it could spiral out of control and if it does then there will be no cure for the government officials if they get sick. This alarmed the men but they calmly looked at the scientist and said they would talk to the boss but they went ahead and gave him an extra day until there is approval from the boss. Who was this boss person, was it the president since election day was coming soon? Maybe he wanted something he could take control of and get the people to elect him if they think he knows what he’s doing. After the men had left the scientist remained, as he was about to pack up and leave we stopped him he shrieked which caused one of the men to come check on him and almost got us caught. After we were sure all the men had left the building we had the scientist sit down and first tell us about the test subject he mentioned. He told us he didn't know much about her and he never really saw what she looked like aside from her brown hair but he did know they were keeping her in the back. After we finished questioning him he gave us this bottle and said he hopes it will cure the lady and asked us to give it to her. After the scientist had left we went to the back room and saw the woman lying there. She looked incredibly sick. Both of us were too afraid to go near until we saw who it was. No this can't be happening they can't do this to me but there she was laying there in front of me looking half dead my own mother. I ran to her not making sure to take any safety precautions and quickly gave her what was in the bottle. I didn't give her all of it just in case it worked and the virus does break out then i could help people find the cure but slowly so no one would be suspicious.but then when i got to thinking about who the “boss” could be and after a good while i knew it couldn't be the current president election day was tomorrow, and if he wanted what i thought he wanted then he would have tried to make sure that the virus had spread and was out in the world before election day it just didn't make sense. Everything was all so confusing and I knew I couldn't take my mother home with Ricky and I or else the men would start to get suspicious. To Be Continued….

Notice: This is a fictional piece of writing that has nothing to do with any of my beliefs and this is not intended to be taken seriously. This bit took me a while and i was gonna give up on it but here i am just use this as a reminder to never give up on something you want to do even if you aren't good at it