Farewell Eastonia | Teen Ink

Farewell Eastonia

November 21, 2014
By Confucius BRONZE, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Confucius BRONZE, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

First it began with an insane man with cancer cannibalizing a nurse. This event had flooded the news in an instant, thanks to social media. Before the world could even react, more and more cancer patients were shredding humans to pieces. Researchers today say that this was caused by a new strain of cancer. The United States declared marshall law and Russia was instantly infested with looters. The United Nations didn’t even have time to set up a conference. Men, women, children and even the elderly began to slaughter each other in panic. Children’s throats were being slit over a mere can of soup.
Then the walls came out from below. The walls were able to reach up to the clouds and beyond. Citizens today claim that the wall was the greatest feat mankind ever took on. The wall ran down the western borders of Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Arkansas and Louisiana. From there the wall ran down Mexico outlining the coasts of Tamalipas, Veracruz, Tabasco, Campeche and Yucatan. Then the walls ran up to the tip of the Florida peninsula, this lead to the wall running up the whole eastern coast. And as if the walls couldn’t get any bigger, The walls ran through the Canadian coasts of the great lakes and finally closing in on the northwest tip of Minnesota. The walls had shut out the rest of the world.
Panic within the walls disintegrated. Soon every cancer patient, infected or not, were eliminated with no remorse. The wall appearing, the genocide of the cancer patients, it all took just five days.

 

The year is 2115, 100 years since the Uprooting. A young man looks out into the horizon of Lake 3 of Eastonia, which used to be Lake Superior a hundred years ago. The man then looks at the wall coming up from the water. It was impossible to see the top of the wall. Most of the time the very top of the wall was hidden beyond the clouds. The wall was named “The Iron Fist.” A young boy jumps from jumps from rock to rock. The boy then approaches the young man and asks, “Father, what does ‘Iron Fist’ mean?”
“I was told by Denzel  that it meant; something that keeps hope,” the young man replied.
“Denzel?”
“Denzel the enforcer,” the man then grabs the boy’s hand and says, “Cmon son-.”
Birds scattered as a shot from a coil gun rang out. Just as the birds scattered, the young man’s blood had been scattered all over the young boy’s shirt, face and hands. The young man’s body dropped to the ground. The mixing of dirt and the young man’s blood, made the ground a sickening dark red color. Dead cold silence followed as a cold air flowed through the boy’s jet black hair.

The year is 2127, the boy is 19 years-old. The boy is close to the edge of the wall in modern day Iowa. “Denzel! Denzel!” the boy yelled as he burst through the door of Denzel’s living unit.
“What is it boy?” Denzel said as he emerged from the kitchen. As Denzel walked towards the boy, his large frame casted a shadow over the boy.The boy is always a bit startled every time he sees Denzel’s abnormal bald and pale head.
“I talked to Professor Jeong and-”
“Professor Jeong?” Denzel Interrupted.
“The 133 year old genius,” the boy replied quickly.
“Didn’t I tell you not to talk to that old oriental fart?” Denzel walked towards the boy with an angry expression on his face. “They will kill you if you know too much boy!” Denzel’s large frame casted a shadow over the boy’s vision, making it hard to see Denzel’s face. “They will shoot you down like a dog! Just like your father was!” Denzel moved closer, knocking over a chair in his way.
“Then maybe! Just maybe, I can see my father again!” the boy said with tears in his eyes, “Jeong was old enough to experience the Uprooting. He knows what’s beyond those walls!”
“Don’t lie to yourself! You know that the infected will rip you apart once you get out there! But what’s beyond those walls don’t matter. What matters is that you’re alive and safe! Hell, we all know that the King is corrupt, why do you think I retired?”
“Says the person who shot my father and won’t even tell me why!” the boy yelled heartlessly. After hearing this, Denzel took a few steps back. He opens his mouth as if he was to say something, but then changes his mind and closes it. Denzel lifts up his head, his eyes glimmered as his eyes filled with tears. Denzel looked weaker than ever. Denzel walks past the boy and storms out of the living unit.
The boy lets out a sigh, then he walks quickly towards his room. Underneath the boy’s bed, he reaches for a leather satchel that Jeong had gave him. He looks inside the bag to check the if his things were still there. Inside the bag was a can of white spray paint and two stencils. The boy then ran out of the door.
To scout a spot where the boy can paint, he climbs Denzel’s living unit. Denzel’s living unit was bigger than others, after all he is a retired enforcer. Denzel’s living unit was close to 30 feet tall. The boy smiles and says to himself. “I always liked this viewed.” The whole sector was covered in short stocky light blue buildings. Surrounding the living units, were small patches of dead brown grass and small shacks made out of stainless-steel which citizens like to call; open air shops. Close to the center of the sector, was a King’s Tower. These towers were just a much taller version of the citizen’s living units, although they were a very dark shade of red. Matter of fact, the King’s Towers were so dark, that from far they can be seen as black.  King’s Towers were in every sector within the Iron Fist. The boy never got a chance to tag a King’s Tower because all the boy had was black spray paint, but today the boy had received some white spray paint from the black market.
The boy looks at his clothes and frowns. The King forced all the citizens to wear a uniform, which was made of some  yellow and reflective material. They say it’s because it’s very dark, even in the morning, and that visibility of the citizens is very important. Meanwhile the King’s enforcers wore clothes the same color as the King’s Towers. Every citizen knows that the technology in the citizen’s uniforms allows the enforcers to see citizens through the walls. This way the citizens will never be able to hide.
The boy climbs down from Denzel’s living unit. Once on the ground, he begins to sprint towards Professor Jeong’s living unit.  The boy’s physical condition was better than the other citizens. The neighboring citizens always admired the boy’s abnormal speed and strenght, Denzel even tried to persuade the boy to become an enforcer.
Slowing down his pace as he approached the living unit, the boy observed Jeong’s home. The living unit was partially sunken and leaning to the left, which was caused by a sinkhole 2 years ago. The boy walks through the door of Jeong’s living unit and adjusts himself to the uneven floors.
“Hey Professor Jeong!” the boy yells across the small cramped room.
“Shut up boy! The King is talking,” Jeong turns up the radio.
“Greetings. Citizens within the walls of Eastonia. I am King Aliah Samil IV of Eastonia.”
“Yeah we know bastard,” Jeong vicariously retorted.
“Tomorrow marks the 20th anniversary of the day my son was taken. Which is also my son’s 20th birthday. Twenty years ago, my son was taken from his crib by my older brother, Aleck Samil. 12 years ago, my brother’s body was found at Lake 3 Eastonia. Tomorrow, all citizens will pay respects to my assumed to be deceased son, Aliah Samil V, at the King’s Towers within your sectors. That is all.”
“Hey Jeong, uh, isn’t it your birthday four days from now?” The boy hesitantly asked.
“Birthday?”
“You know, the thing about celebrating one’s birth that you told me a few days ago,” the boy indicated.
“You’re one to talk,” Jeong laughed. The boy follows Jeong as he goes to grab a plateful of discolored vegetables.
“Jeong why don’t you eat meat again? It is on sale at the black market you know,” the boy states.
“Why? Because the meat here isn’t real unlike before the Uprooting, and chicken isn’t supposed to be square and gray. Plus, why do you think I live so long?” Jeong says as he chews on the vegetables. “Nevermind that crap. I did it.” Jeong says with a mischievous look on his face.
“What did you do?” The boy asked excitedly.
“I used the computer that I’ve been building for four years and hacked into the King’s documents.”
“Well, what did you find? Anything interesting?”
“It’s bigger than we thought. Files range from over a hundred fifty years ago! And guess what?”
“What?” the boy’s eyes lit up.
“Proof! I proved that the infected aren’t real. It was all a conspiracy. The cancer patients eating nurses! The epidemic! It was all a lie!” Jeong looked madly ecstatic.
“I knew it!” the boy’s eyes was filled with joy.
“But wait! The statement that we are the only humans around is also a lie! There are other ‘Iron Fist’ all throughout the planet! Russia! China! Germany! France! Hell even Canada! It seems that the other walls came up after Eastonia’s came up. Also, they have communicating! Talking about utopia and other fantasies.”
“Utopia?” the boy seemed puzzled.
“It’s something that doesn’t and will never exist.” Jeong replies.
“So what are you gonna do now Jeong?”
“I don’t know, probably wait till the enforcers snatch me or shoot me in the back of the head or something.” Jeong proudly said.
“The computer?”
“You’re too late to see it in it’s glory, I’ve already destroyed and buried it.”
“Oh.” The boy sadly said.
“So what are you here for boy?” Jeong asked.
“I need fly’s wax to dull out my clothes.” the boy replied.
“You mean beeswax stupid?”
“Yeah.”
“Going to graffiti crap again?”
“Yeah.”
“Using that white paint?”
“Yeah.”
“Are you seriously tagging a King’s Tower?”
“Of course. Why do you think that I want bee’s wax? I need to dull out my clothes so
then the sensors won’t see me.” the boy said proudly.
“The sensors may not see you through the walls, but the enforcers can still see you.”
Jeong retorted.
“Yeah but the enforcers are almost never outside. Most of the time they’re staring at a monitor screen. Like Denzel was.”
“But Denzel was on patrol. Like when he shot your father. There may be enforcers on patrol boy. Explain to me, why Denzel is taking care of you again?” Jeong asked heartlessly.
“Denzel feels that he’s responsible. After all, he says that he was trigger happy that day.” The boy said effortlessly. Jeong puts on a concerned look on his face as he hands the boy a block of beeswax. The boy then begins to apply a thick layer of wax on his clothes.
“Don’t be a heartless man like me boy. You should be thankful of Denzel,” Jeong muttered. Once the boy finished applying wax to his clothes, he dashed out the door and headed for the King’s Tower.
“Thanks for everything Jeong!” The boy yelled as he left the living unit.
“Nice knowin’ ya kid!”
Once the boy was at the base of the King’s Tower, he scouted for a spot to tag. The boy circled to the back of the building and found a smooth surface on the building which had suited spray paint. The boy then pulls out the 2 stencils and takes the can of spray paint in his hand. As the boy holds up the stencil up against the wall with one hand, he paints through the cut out spaces with the other. Once finished, a white lightning about two feet long, was on the wall. The boy then picks up the other stencil, which was slightly bigger than the previous stencil.  The boy then holds this stencil directly under the lightning bolt, and begins spraying. Once finished, under the lightning bolt was a simple crown. The boy steps back to admire his work, on the wall is what appears to be a white crown much bigger than the lightning bolt it’s being struck by. “Death of corruption.” The boy silently whispered to himself.
From the left of the building, an enforcer emerges wearing his signature dark red trenchcoat. The enforcer see’s the boy and the crown being struck by lightning on the wall. Swiftly the enforcer lunged forward and socked the boy on the jaw. The boy was instantly knocked out.

My head felt like a thousand pounds heavier than it should be. I never thought that opening my eyes would take so much effort. Once my eyes were open, I began to search the area around me. I tried to move but my hands were handcuffed behind my back and my legs were completely numb. I was being held up by two enforcers behind me. They had blank expressions on their faces. We were in some sort of metallic rectangular room. A steady humming sound filled the room. I’m afraid that I’m going to go mad because of this noise.
Suddenly the whole room shook and the enforcers lost grip of me and I face planted on the hard cold surface. An opening appeared in front of me and the rectangular room was suddenly filled with cold air. I lifted my head up, and saw Denzel with his mouth agape. “William?” Denzel said with a broken voice. Behind Denzel was the blue sky and plenty of clouds. We were on top of the wall. I tried to speak but I couldn’t. The two enforcers picked me up from the ground and dragged me on the same surface which Denzel was standing on. Once I set foot on the surface, the cold gust blowing against my face stopped. There must be something invisible blocking the wind. I then discovered that it wasn’t only Denzel on top of the wall. To the left, were 3 heavily built enforcers with coil pistols strapped to their hips. When I looked to the right, I almost lost control. It was King Aliah Samil IV. The King wore his usual black cape and a blood red trenchcoat. To his left, was Professor Jeong who somehow had a smirk on his face.
“Welcome to the party boy,” Jeong casually said. The enforcers dropped me in between the King and the enforcers. Denzel stood directly in front of me, his face was very pale.
“Do you denounce the King?” Denzel asked reluctantly. Denzel looked to the other and enforcers then back to me.
“Yes,” I said as I looked up with a fierce look on my face. I looked to Jeong and saw him nod in approval. Meanwhile, I can see Denzel’s beads of sweat roll down his forehead.
“Thats my boy!” Jeong cheered.
“Foley,” The King ordered. An enforcer walked across towards the King’s side. He unstrapped his coil pistol and shot Jeong directly in the chest. Jeong’s body dropped to the ground. He was dead. A mixture of grief and rage fueled my body. Seconds later, the numbness of my legs dispersed. I got up and ran towards the edge of the wall and hung the heels of my feet over the wall. I looked by the King’s feet and saw that it was surrounded by a pool of Jeong’s blood. I could see that Denzel was deathly shaking.
“William! Don’t do this, my highness please dont hurt this boy,” Denzel bowed at the King’s feet, soaking his forehead in Jeong’s blood.
“You know this boy?” The King asked with a falsified concerned look.
“Yes my King, I am responsible for him,” Denzel said with a loud clear voice.
“And you let him run amok and mutilate one of my towers?” Denzel looked up at the King with his face covered in Jeong’s blood. “Foley,” The King ordered. The enforcer quickly sent a bullet to the back of Denzel’s head. Denzel dropped to the ground next to Jeong. I let out a savage animal like scream. The King looked up from Denzel’s body and asks, “What is your name boy?”
“People call me William. BUT MY REAL NAME IS  PRINCE ALIAH SAMIL THE FIFTH!” I said as I bared my teeth at the King, enforcers and Eastonia. The King’s facial expression was priceless.
“Men! Dropped your weapons to the ground!” instantly, the enforcers threw their weapons at my feet. I smiled with satisfaction. “My son, I thought you were dead. Please come to me,” the King begged.
“Screw you. Let me ask you a question my highness,” I said sarcastically. “What does Iron Fist mean.”
“Well of course it means something that keeps hope,” the king replied.
“Even now you chose to lie. It means; the ruthlessness of attitude or behavior. A term often used to describe dictators,” the color in the King’s face disappeared. “Jeong taught me that.” I looked at Denzel’s body. I always knew that he wasn’t trigger happy twelve years ago at Lake 3. “Also, I knew that you had Denzel kill Uncle Aleck twelve years ago. Uncle Aleck was the only man that I saw as my father.” As I said this the King dropped to his knees and began to hyperventilate. Enforcers rushed to his aid. The King looked up at me just as Denzel did to him. “Farewell Eastonia,” I pushed myself off the wall. The walls kept corruption, not hope. As I was falling I heard the King cry out, but I shut him out. I faced down to face the clouds and imagined a paradise beyond the clouds. Maybe this is how the fallen angels felt which Jeong always talked about before. I fell through the clouds and what I saw broke my heart. Beyond the walls wasn’t a paradise. What I saw was a black scorched surface with no trees or any signs of life. I began to scream and flail in the air. I close my eyes as I approached my death.


 


The author's comments:

One of my first short stories.