Dying, Dead....GONE! | Teen Ink

Dying, Dead....GONE!

By Kenziee7 BRONZE, Lyman, Maine
Kenziee7 BRONZE, Lyman, Maine

It was the worst sight I ever saw. Eleven lifeless bodies scattered around Camp where we once all joked around and laughed, but was now a morning sight for those of our friends that had lost their life for the freedom of all of America. It was all because of a bomb. How could such a little thing do so much damage in the blink of an eye? When all the dust finally sifted away, all I saw was the blood splatters that had stained the sand bags we had used for protection when we were being fired upon. They had saved many of us for being hit with bullets, but it had done nothing to save us from getting thrown everywhere from the power of the bomb. There weren’t many things that could of saved us.

I had an awful pain in my right leg, and when I looked down it was completely covered with blood that was coming from a large gash that went all the way from my knee to the top of my hip where I noticed that part of my hip bone was broken. The gash was about two inches wide. All I saw was the raw flesh covered with sand from the sandbag that had been flung on top of me to soak up the blood. It was the worst feeling I had ever felt. It was like my whole leg was burning off from the pain. The sand was irritating it so much because when ever I would try to move it would go deeper in to the cut making it throb even more. I wish that it would just go away and everything would be done with.

An hour or two later, the nurses that helped the sick and dying at our camp were coming around looking for people that needed help. I was one of them. I didn’t want to loose my leg, but at the same time I had a gut feeling that was telling me that I was going to, because of all the bacteria in the sand that was now probably about three inches deep into my leg. When the nurse came up to me, I could tell that there was something else wrong. When we got to the nurses station about five minutes later I was beginning to feel light headed. I didn’t know if it was because I was loosing so much blood or if it was just from all the pain.

Before I knew it I woke up, but I wasn’t in the dirty room when I had been. I was now in some high class hospital (well anything really would be higher class then that little twelve by twelve room.) I was trying to figure out where I was and how I had gotten there. I wanted to leave; I was fine. When I tried to move to make an effort to get up and leave, I noticed that I couldn’t feel my leg so I lifted up the blanket to see that I only had part of my right leg. Why would they of taken part of my leg? There was nothing wrong with me. A young nurse maybe twenty-three came into my room with a tray off (what I hoped would be food) I was so hungry. It felt like I had had nothing to eat in weeks. I wasn’t allowed to eat anything that was to high in calories or fat, so it was disgusting. It was like eating cardboard. It makes the food we used to eat while at camp seem delicious. Which it is anything but. I don’t understand why we can’t have decent food while we are sick in the hospital.

When they took me out of the ICU (Intensive Care Unit) I could tell that I was doing better, and that I could make it. No one came to see me. I didn’t have any family really. My mother died when I was fourteen and my father died on my sixteenth birthday, so most of my childhood was sad and traumatizing. I was sad when my dad died because I knew that I would have to go either to Foster Care or to my grandmothers house where I always dreaded to go. Most kids love to see there grandmother and grandfather, but not me. I never knew my grandfather and everyone said that he was a great man, so I wonder why he was with my grandmother. My grandmother was nasty and when ever I did something wrong she would yell at me and slap me across the face even if it wasn’t that bad. I couldn’t tell anyone about this because no one would listen. Neither of my parents could give me advice, and my older sister Melina didn’t want anything to do with me. I don’t even know when her birthday is or even how old she is. I don’t remember the last time that I talked to her or saw her. She lives in Maine(or at least I think so.) I wasn’t even invited to her wedding, and she never shows up to Christmas or Thanksgiving, I just wish that I knew what I had done so that I could say I’m sorry and this whole thing could just be over. Because to tell the truth I miss her, a lot!!

I started to cry over the thought of that. Of my family before any of the “stuff” had happened. I just wish that things could be the same again. So that I could see my parents again even if it was just for a day, and to also see my sister, to say “I missed you,” but I knew that would never happen. I hated not knowing my sister. I didn’t even know if she was alive.

It had been along time since I had ever even thought about all of this. I don’t know what ever made me think of it, but it was a sad thought. Like when you think of a pet that just died and your eyes teared up at the thought. That’s the way I felt, like all of a sudden I had a large hole in my heart that was taking over my whole body. I felt alone in the world, because I didn’t have anyone that cared about me. Let alone call me and visit me, to make sure I am okay while in the hospital.

I couldn’t remember anything so why could I remember all this stuff ? Why all the bad stuff that had happened to me over the years ?

A few minutes later, the nurse came back into my room to check on me. She said that sense I was out of the ICU I was allowed to see the people that had come to visit me. I told her she had to be wrong, I didn’t have anyone that I knew that would want to come and see me. The only person in my family that was still alive was my grandmother, and she would not of come all the way over here to see me. She hated me!! She always had favorites. I was never one of them. I never knew why though. She said that there was a young lady. She said that she wanted to see “me,” who would that be ? I didn’t know anyone. They probably just said the name of who they really came to see wrong. The nurse left the room.

She came back, but this time with the the visitor. When they walked in, I knew that she looked familiar. When they nurse introduced them to me I still had no clue who they were. The older woman maybe twenty- two lifted up her hand and said,

“Colby remember the day we got married?” the words replayed in my head over and over. I looked at her with a blank look, so she said it again. I still didn’t get it. I finally opened my mouth to say something when all of a sudden everything came back to me. I was at a camp in Afghanistan when a bomb when off and and I blacked out. I remember when I got married to her, Isabella. It was the happiest day of my life being married to someone that was beautiful and loved me for me. I had missed her so much. She leaned over the bed to give me a hug. I didn’t want to let go. I had been away from her for to long, in fact six months maybe even seven.

When the nurse left with Isabella, I felt my eyes tear up. I didn’t want her to leave. I wanted her to say, but she wasn’t allowed to.

When the doctor that had done the surgery on my leg came into my room, he asked if my leg was feeling any better. I said no. It still hurt extremely bad. I told him that there was one part of my hip that I couldn’t feel anything. He said that was normal. I asked why? He said,

“ Many patients loose the feeling in a small area because of the surgery. When we cut the skin to begin we might have sliced a nerve, it’s nothing bad. It just means that you loose the feeling. Because there is no more nerve” I thought about this for a minute. I wanted to believe that nothing was wrong, but I knew that there was something else wrong with me. Maybe the doctors couldn’t see it but I definitely feel it. It felt like my flesh was burning off the bone.

He said that he needed to take off the wrap to put on a new one. I knew it would hurt, but I knew it needed to be done. When he started to pull it off, I could feel the tugging and pulling of the stitches on the sticky tape that held it all in place. I wanted to scream. It hurt so bad! When the bandage was completely off I noticed the doctor was looking at it weirdly. I couldn’t see it, but I knew it had to be bad. When I sat up all I saw was a big black circle that looked like rotted flesh I had an infection. I knew something was wrong, but I never thought it would of been this bad. I had a shock wave run up the back of my spine. I had a feeling this was now going to be a matter of life and death. I didn’t want it to end like this. I wanted to fight. I knew how to, I had done it for three years. And I bet that type of fighting was harder. I didn’t know how I was ever going to be able to control my body, but I know that if I did everything I could to fight this infection I was going to do it. I wasn’t just going to give up. Not now, not ever. I didn’t want my wife to have to go though this. Not again. Three years earlier she had to put her father to rest, it was tough those years. I hated to see her sad, because she always makes me happy when I see her. I think that is why I remember those days. They were the best times of my life.

I wish that just this whole thing could be over and we could go back to all being happy and save well at least Isabella being save, me on the other hand was anything but safe. I didn’t care I wanted to make someone else’s life better then mine ever was(that is until i met Isabella) she was the best thing that has ever happened to me! (by far) I just wish that I could feel like I could do something to make me feel like I deserved her, because right now i don’t think I do. She is a great girl and she could have married someone that is home more, but there is just something about me I guess that just makes me her type. I don’t know what, but i’m glad I have it! Because without her I would be nothing. I would not have to fight for my life, but now that she is I have to and I want to. I don’t want her to be let down when someone comes up to her and says we are sorry, but your husband Colby just died. I didn’t want to put her through that. I just wanted her to have a happy life.

When the doctor came back into the room he came with three large needles that he said he would need to fill up to take test to see if it was Mersa. That was the word I didn’t want to hear. I wanted to hear,

“Oh Colby i’m so glad that the test came back negative for Mersa you will be able to get through this.” The needles were about two inches long. I just wanted this to be all over.

When all the test were finally done with I could see the black thick liquid in the syringe slowing moving from side to side as the doctor exited my room. No more than two minutes later did Isabella walk in. I noticed that she was crying. I didn’t want to see her like this, so I shut my eyes. As she leaned over the bed, I sat up slowly and opened my arms. She gave me a hug that lasted for what seemed to be five minutes. I didn’t want to let her go not now, not ever. She was an amazing girl. She was someone that cared about me, and how I felt.

It took two weeks for the test result to come back. When the doctor came into my room with is head down. I knew that something was bad. Maybe it was true, maybe I had Mersa, and it was just a madder of time before it got to the rest of my body. That was my one fear. That he was going to say I had tested positive. When he showed me the paper i looked at it circled in red was positive, when i looked at what I had tested positive for my worst fear came true. It was Mersa, and it was just a madder of time. I was a ticking time bomb. I didn’t want to believe any of this, but I knew it was true. I told the doctor to tell Isabella to come into the room, so that I could take to her about it.

When she walked it I could tell by her eyes that she thought that I was going to tell her good news, maybe that it wasn’t Mersa or that it had gone down, but I couldn’t tell her that because it was true I didn’t want to lead her on to something that was already bad as it is.

I looked at her, and with the softest voice I raised up the paper and before I could say anything tears were streaming down my cheeks, I softly said “Positive.” Before I was even done with the word she was already bent down over my body crying. I told her in between sniffs that I loved her and that I was sorry for putting her through all of this. She didn’t deserve this. She looked at me and said

“ I will alway love you not madder what.” That was the best thing I had heard all day. I looked at her and gave her a tight hug. ?
A few hours later the doctor came back in my room to take off the bandage so that he could put a new one on. When he started to unroll the bandage I could start to feel my whole body tense up. I knew I didn’t want to see it, but I had to. When it was off I slowly opened one eye. Almost all of my right side was black. I just wanted to give up, I knew that I couldn’t. Not with Isabella. I had to fight, if not for myself for her.

Two weeks had passed and now my other side was starting to turn black. It was the worst sight. I was like my body was dying a slow death, with me caught inside. I did’t want to see it end like this, but I knew that the day I dreaded was coming. Soon. I kept fighting though. Even though I felt that I could got no more, but I had to try. I just had to.

Ten minutes later Isabella came in. When she looked at me she looked sad. She told me that she hated to see me suffer, because I didn’t deserve this. No one did. It was sad enough that I was dying, but how my flesh was rotting was just gross. I didn’t want to think of this. I didn’t want to see it either. I was scared. When Isabella came closer to me I saw that she was crying. I sat up and gave her a hug. She cried into my shoulder.

The next day. I didn’t feel good. I was having a hard time breathing. I asked the doctor why that was, he said that the infection must have gotten to my lungs, and that it would be a long ride from here. That was the worst thing I could have heard. I didn’t want to hear that the infection had gotten to my lungs and that it was just a short time until I died.

A few minutes later another doctor that I hadn’t seen before came into my room, with a large bag that was filled with this thick black liquid. He said that he needed to put this into my drinking tube, and that it would make me better. I hated not being able to feed myself. I hated it! As soon as he started to pour it. I started to feel light headed. As soon as he was pumping more and more into my half awake body I realized that it wasn’t helping me! I was dying! I tried to pull the tube out of my mouth but I had no energy to. I was slowly being poisoned. That was why I had never seen that doctor before. He was not a doctor he was trying to kill me. Why would anyone want to do that? I had no enemies! (Or thats what I though). As I tried again and again to yell and pull the tube out, but I just couldn’t.

The lights in the room started to go dim. I didn’t want to die. Not like this. I could feel him pump more and more of that black liquid into my fragile body. More and more in till I couldn’t breath I was gasping for air, but nothing was going into my lungs. I didn’t know why he was doing this, but I could do nothing about it. So I sat there crying while everything in the room started to go fuzzy. I knew I was done.

It had been three weeks sense Colby had died and Isabella was dressed all in black crying into her fathers shoulder. They were at the burial sight. They were all crying as they planted the red white and blue plants around his grave with the American flag beside it. He had fought for what was right. He didn’t know how to be mad at the man that had kill him, but everyone else did. He could always find the better person in someone.

They were going out to eat at Olive Garden, that night with everyone that attended the Funeral. They wanted to make the best out of the worst of times.

It was around nine O’clock when everyone had finished their meals. Everyone said their goodbyes as they all walked to their cars. Isabella was the last person walk to her car. She was walking slow, because she was talking on her cell phone from the lady that worked in the office next to her. They were talking about their plans that they had made for their work. She didn’t really want to talk to anyone, she just wanted to sit down and cry. She felt so depressed. She had no energy. When she hung up the phone. She sat on the curb and started to cry. She heard a car coming down the road. It pulled up next to her, and inside was the doctor that had killed her husband. He was the last person she wanted to see right now. She gave him a dirty look and asked what he wanted. He asked her that since her husband was dead if she maybe wanted to go out for a date. She looked at him straight in the eye and said,

“ I would never go out on a date with you. You killed my husband, just to get close to me. Why would you of done that. I hate you so much! He was the happiest thing and best thing in my life.” He looked at her and in a low voice said,

“Okay, Fine if you can’t live without your husband then I think I can help you with that.”

As he slowly started to back up she stood up to go get into her car. She turned around to see that he was coming closer and closer gaining speed with each time his wheels rotated. She knew she had made him mad. She tried to get into her car, but before she could do anything. He slammed into her. The last thing she ever saw was the high beams of the car of the man that had now killed her and her husband.

A few months later, they were all in court. Isabella’s mother and father and also Colby’s grandmother. They were all crying. Even his grandmother. The court came to a conclusion that they found Mr. Tium guilty. He would be locked up for the rest of his life, and still to this day the flowers and cross are still where he hit Isabella three years ago.
Many people in her family learned that not all people will like you and you can’t please everyone... so don’t try to make them like you cause there are people out there that are emotionally distressed, and don’t know what they are doing just like how Mr. Trium killed her and her husband. Only because Colby had something that he wanted and also because Isabella didn’t left him have it (her).

Basketball13 BRONZE, Shapleigh, Maine

"Go big or Go Home"

Who is this?

Soccer114 said...
Very nice story. Keep on writing

AGV97 BRONZE said...
AGV97 BRONZE, Shapleigh, Maine

A life on the edge is a life lived right.
-Angel

nice story  it was very descriptive

nmercier BRONZE, Shapleigh, Maine

"Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood."

Hey this story is so good Kenzie!! :D Hope to see more soon. See you later :D NICOLE!!!

It took me a while to read but I liked It!

tium should get the death sentence!

hahahahaha!!

Bowles26 said...
The story was good but since im not the best reader it took me a really long time to read it all

nmercier BRONZE, Shapleigh, Maine

You both are really weird :D

kuni24 said...
I love it mac mac!!!

imsexy said...

u r weird

Basketball13 BRONZE, Shapleigh, Maine

"Go big or Go Home"

Great story! Looking forward to more stories by you! C: :)

nmercier BRONZE, Shapleigh, Maine

This story is really good. I think that it is really sad that the guy dies. Also how the wife dies. I hope to read a lot more stories by you. :D

I like it even though I read it in 5 seconds! Record breaker!!! Just kidding I'll read it.