Dead End | Teen Ink

Dead End MAG

We sat in a drowsy daze, blowing cool air on each other’s necks. That’s when we heard the jingle. I jumped up, my thighs sticking to the deck, grasping a dollar in my sticky summer hands.

Together we ran, our bare feet slapping against the hot tar of our dead-end street. Seeking refuge in the shadows of leafy trees, the truck whizzed past. That was our game.

Our hair billowed as we ran. I stopped. He had won again. Some days he would let us win, but when he didn’t, the ice cream tasted that much sweeter.

Zxarra GOLD said...
Zxarra GOLD, Fitzwilliam, New Hampshire

Earth without art is "eh"

If you're going to make a comment like that could you at least back it up? Otherwise it is just pointlessly rude and definitely not constructive criticism. Also, how could this possibly be the worst thing you have ever read? It's beautiful! To the author: this is the sort of nostalgically sweet, descriptive, well-written piece that I spend hours searching for on TeenInk and other similar sites.

Klammyt GOLD said...
Klammyt GOLD, San Diego, California

"Remember you're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
-Christopher Robin to Pooh

you know what? i do! if people are gonna put a bunch of bs on someone else's work, how do you think that person feels?? it's really annoying, ok?  p.s. your nickname suits you... NOT in a good way, just to clarify 

Create BRONZE said...
Create BRONZE, Wilmington, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
No one cares. gtfo

TheDevilsLotus, Rgr, North Carolina
I love the overall description of the story - it really sucks the reader in, and reminds all of us of a day during the summer when we chased after the ice cream man. I can actually feel myself being placed into this setting, and feel myself stepping into the story, which is great. You want to engage your readers. Even though this is short, I think it does well in engaging its audience. Nice job!

Klammyt GOLD said...
Klammyt GOLD, San Diego, California

-Christopher Robin to Pooh

Stop Spamming.

callmeike SILVER, Denver, Colorado

Heroes die, Legends endure.

I like this piece because it gives me a nostalgic feeling of running in the summer trying to catch the ice cream man. Pretty short but you added enough detail to give me the full picture of what was happening. Well done. I hope to see more of your work.

dpow18 BRONZE said...
dpow18 BRONZE, Oak Lawn, Illinois
This is hands down the worst thing ive ever read in my life.

dpow18 BRONZE said...
dpow18 BRONZE, Oak Lawn, Illinois
this is hands down the worst thing ive ever read in my life

Calligraphic SILVER, Shavano Park, Texas

"A smile is a curve that sets everything straight." -Phyllis Diller

It was really short and sweet, great job!

Poetry1518 BRONZE, Summerville, South Carolina

LIFE is a ROLLERCOASTER; buckle up, take a seat, and try to enjoy the ride!!!!!!!!

PLEASE DON'T READ THIS. YOU WILL BE KISSED ON THE NEAREST FRIDAY BY THE ONE YOU LOVE. NOW YOU'VE STARTED READING THIS SO DON'T STOP. THIS IS REALLY FREAKY!!! 1)say your name 10 times 2)say your mom's name 5 times 3)say your crush's name 3 times 4)paste this on 4 other posts. if you do this your crush will kiss you on the nearest friday. if you don't do this after reading this you will get bad luck send this to 4 other post in 143 minutes when done press F6 and the name of your crush will appear on the screen in big letters

Def_Leppard_fan120 SILVER, Lake Lorane, Florida

If you want your dreams to come true, Make them come true. If you want to win, Make it a win.
The only one that is stopping you from accomplish your dreams is YOU.

Come check out my paper called THE BATTLE

ChantelleK. said...
ChantelleK., Toronto, Other
Very charming, I love it.

MyBlue. said...
MyBlue., Overland Park, Kansas

"The best way out, is through"
Robert Frost

Awesome! Its' was cute! ;)

AmayaSakaruta, Borger, Texas

From out of the night that covers me, black as the pit from pole to pole, i thank whatever gods may be, for my unconquerable soul. -William Earnest Henley
Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil. -the Bible

this is a nice drabble, i like it :D please comment/rate on my fiction peice, "Broken glass Mirror" (for lack of better name) thank u!

heather_marie PLATINUM, Deshler, Ohio

\\\"Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you was beyond my control

~smile~ i love it:)

speedygirl13 said...
Wow I like that it was so good.

emilybwrites SILVER, Villa Hills, Kentucky

last night i lay in bed, looking up at the stars and i thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling?

wow this is fantasticall!!!!!!! please check out my poem "Forgotten Domain" and comment/rate it? thanks:)

paigeturner9 PLATINUM, Palo Alto, California
love this! I know others are telling you to add to it, but I really think you should keep it short and sweet. 

TheIdiot said...
TheIdiot, Farmers Branch, Texas

"I'll be back"- Arnold Schwarzenegger

Its a very descriptive way of telling us you waited then ran to the ice cream. Its very short I saw you should add some other interesting part.

I kind of wish that you would give us a bit of exposition, but keep up the good work.

Also (sorry to advertise) could everyone please check out my new story called "Purple-face Tom" it is my 1st posted work on this site.