A Boy and Dirt | Teen Ink

A Boy and Dirt

By LeviathanEaterOfWorlds BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
LeviathanEaterOfWorlds BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

"oo oo ahh ahh" - Curious George

In the cool breeze of a small East Coast town between rolling hills and fields of golden wheat and flowers, stood a small farm. It was a place where time seemed to slow down, where the scent of earth filled your nose with the sweet aroma of wildflowers, and where the sun set the sky in hues of orange and pink every evening; leaving the people art to look up at. The owner of this farm was a young man named Jack. With a passion for the land instilled in him by his grandfather, Jack had taken over the farm after his beloved grandpa passed away. He had spent countless summers by his grandpa's side, learning the ways of the land, the secrets of the soil, and the rhythm of the seasons.

As the sun rose over the horizon, Jack could be found tending to the crops, his hands rough from the work but his heart full of determination. He took care of the land with the same love and care his grandpa had shown, knowing that each seed he planted held the promise of a meaningful harvest. But life on the farm was not without its challenges. The weather could be unpredictable, with fierce storms threatening to destroy months of hard work in an instant. There were days when the crops refused to yield, testing Jack's patience and resolve. Yet, through it all, he remained steadfast, drawing strength from the memories of his grandpa and the legacy he had left behind.

One day, as Jack was tending to the fields, he stumbled upon an old journal tucked away in the corner of the barn. Curious, he flipped through its pages, his fingers tracing the handwriting of his grandpa. In those yellowed pages, he discovered a new wisdom, from planting techniques passed down through generations to tales of the great hoards of watermelon and perseverance in the face of the winter. Inspired by his grandpa's words, Jack poured his heart and soul into the farm, embracing the challenges as opportunities for growth and learning. With each passing season, the farm flourished under his care, its fields bursting with hundreds of fruits and vegetables that were the main attraction of the town.

Word of Jack's success spread far and wide, drawing visitors from near and far to marvel at the beauty of his farm and the richness of its harvest. But for Jack, the true measure of his success was not the compliments of others, but in the knowledge that he was carrying on his grandpa's story and farm for the next generation. As the years went by, the small farm in the small East Coast town continued to thrive, a tale to the young farmer and the land that had been entrusted to him by his grandpa. And though his grandpa was no longer there to see it, Jack knew that his spirit lived on in every stalk of corn, every apple tree, and every blade of grass that swayed in the east coast town’s cool breeze.