Drug Addiction | Teen Ink

Drug Addiction

May 5, 2017
By iiris SILVER, Tirane, Other
iiris SILVER, Tirane, Other
5 articles 0 photos 7 comments

In my old school,  I  had  a classmate who was very problematic. He had  always been a naughty  child, but  ever  since  he  started  smoking  he  transformed  into  someone else. My friends  and  I  often  saw  him  in  the  morning  smoking  with  his  friends. He  wasn't  the  only  one  who  smoked  in  the  class  for  sure  but  it  seemed  that  he  was  abusing  way  more  than  the  others.

He  often  said  that  this  had  become  a  habit  for  him  and  he  had  to  smoke  at  least  one  cigarette  per  hour.  He  constantly  complained  that he  was tired and often  had stomach aches. We  all  knew about  his  situation, but  there  was  nothing  we  could  do  to   help  him. When  he  started  to  be  accompanied  with  kids  of  an  older  age, we  were  certain   that  he  had  experimented  with  other  drugs. 


Drug  addiction  is  an  increasing  problem  in  our  society. Drugs  are  a  major  obstacle for  accomplishing  goals  in  life. They  can  cause  many  harms  to  our  body  and  our  brain, and  drugs  can  destroy  our  life  completely.


Many  people  don't  understand  why  or  how  other  people  become  addicted  to  drugs. People  think  that  those  who  take  drugs  don't  stop  because  they  simply  choose  not to, or  because  the  addiction  has  become  too  strong. For  most  people, the  initial  decision to  take  drugs  is  voluntary, but  repeated  drug  use  can  lead  to  drug  addiction. In  reality, drug  addiction  is  a  complex  disease, and  quitting  usually  takes  more  than  strong  will. Drugs  affect  the  brain  and  quitting  is  very  difficult. When  a  drug  is  taken  for  the  first time, it  stimulates  the  pleasure  centers  of  the  brain. It is  for sake of pleasure  that most users first get accustomed to it. Drug  users  take  drugs  to  forget  pain,  insult,  and  to  escape  from reality.
 

There  are  many  types  of  drugs. Some  are  taken  through  injection, some  are smoked  and  some  are  chewed  and  swallowed. Most  patients  need  long-term  or  repeated  care  to  stop  using  completely  and  recover  their  lives.


Addiction  can  happen  at  any  age, as  shown  in  Figure 1, youth  and  teenagers  are  more  susceptible  to  become  victims. If  an  adolescent’s  behaviour  rapidly  changes, like  suddenly  being  frequently  tired  or  depressed, it  might  be  a  sign  that  he  or  she  is developing  a  drug-related  problem. These  symptoms  can  be: trouble  in  school  or  with  the law, changes  in  eating  or  sleep  patterns, loss  of  interest  in  activities  etc. 


Helping  someone  who  struggles  with  these  addictions  into  recovery  is  not  an  easy task. If  you  know  someone  who  is  experimenting  with  drugs  talk  to  the  person  and  offer  him  or  her  your  help. Don't  leave  them  to  hit  the  bottom  but  instead  you  can  support  and  encourage  them  to  talk  to  a  professional  and  get  to  rehabilitation.