The Process | Teen Ink

The Process

By Mallika Dubey BRONZE, Tampa, Florida
Mallika Dubey BRONZE, Tampa, Florida

July is forever pink. Three is eternally green. Sunday is unquestionably yellow.
The morning is always lavender. I cognitively associate words and themes of the world around me with color, although for seventeen years I had no idea why. Despite how intrigued I am by color, I only began to understand its significance this past summer when I entered a studio at the Art Institute of Chicago and picked up a paintbrush.

I'll never forget the words. I was staring head on at the model posing in front of me, slightly uncomfortable at the prospect of painting a nude man, when my teacher uttered, 'Squint your eyes and concentrate.' I later realized he was actually teaching me how to begin painting from life. The more I listened to his words, jumbled up in a mixture of art and philosophy, the more I began to understand what he was really saying. My eyes began to perceive nuances of both chiaroscuro and color intensity on the nude man. It was bizarre how a certain confidence crystallized within me as my vision of the man grew more distant and hazy. The man's outline was of no value to me. How could I paint him precisely, anyway? His body was natural, inclined to move, and perhaps that would be the very beauty of painting him.

I mixed my palette for a good twenty minutes. The palette began with six classic colors and ended with over twenty unidentifiable colors. Right before touching the bristles of the paintbrush to the unsoiled canvas, I felt a little hesitant, like I always did before beginning a painting or for that matter any creative endeavor. But as I began to paint, I also felt a willingness to defy any previous anticipations of what my piece had to become.

The first strokes were bold and unrestrained. The canvas bled with color. I began to feel a connection with my subject almost immediately. Vincent Van Gogh would have been proud. I'm not sure how many times I encountered him in my life, but it began when I set sight on his still life, 'Sunflowers.' Van Gogh was pure genius. His painting 'Sunflowers' was no still life; it always seemed alive. The overlapping strokes and texture brought a liveliness and emotional dimension to the painting for me. I wanted to be Van Gogh's disciple, awake and ready to learn the art of painting through emotion.

When I paint I am at a place in my life where nothing else even comes close.
Results are no longer my goal; it is simply the process that matters. Placing the paintbrush to the canvas becomes just as satisfying to me as the end result. It is through painting that I peacefully walk away from the overwhelming chaos of my everyday life. And it is through painting that I have learned to redefine my definition of success.
Painting consumes me, but in such a way that I am constantly rejuvenated.

* * *

Nine hours later my painting was complete, or so it seemed. I had painted fearlessly, but I had also severely underestimated what nine straight hours of painting could do to me. After just one day in the studio, I felt like I had already begun a personal journey of correlating art to life. An artist was simply not a creator of his or her own craft, but a thinker and communicator. An artist spoke what could not be spoken.
And an artist became an artist the moment he or she decided. Before that day in the studio, I hadn't the slightest confidence to call myself an artist. I was just 'another' student who happened to enjoy art. Today, however, I realize that I have always been an artist.

This essay is about the creative process. I wrote it because I believe many young people today are artists of some form. Art can move us, inspire us, and teach us.