My Future | Teen Ink

My Future

Describe the world you come from- for example, your family, community, or school- and tell us how your world has shaped your dreams and aspirations.

Plummeting 100 feet beneath the surface, suspended in perfect equilibrium, bubbles climbing past my eyes, colors incomparable to anything I’ve ever seen, and only the sound of my breath interrupting the barrier of silence (vs. Perfect silence) I crave scuba diving on an hourly basis and it’s this craving that has opened my eyes to marine biology.
I was born on the island of Guam where I’m convinced marine biology was imbedded into my mind to later be identified as my calling. However, I am being raised in my town, unfortunately for me, nowhere near an ocean. The nearest large body of water is Lake Michigan, with frigid waters and not the most eventful diving experiences. My father (Pops) is a certified dive master and has always dreamed his daughters would share his passion. His stories have inspired me to get involved in scuba diving.
I believe if I can scuba dive, observe marine life, and get paid for it, there’s nothing better. My parents don’t feel scuba diving is the best career for such a “bright and talented girl,” as they would put it, but I say it’s my future and my decision. My parents also say the pay isn’t sufficient. I beg to differ. The potential to travel as a marine biologist is fascinating to me.
Since the age of zero, I have traveled to locations outside the United States, mostly in Micronesia, which my parents took a great liking to it. I have always been taught to keep an open mind about everyone and everything. I think this has helped me be a bigger person and be capable to approach a situation with out any preconceived notions, which allows me to not look like the stereotypical ignorant American. I remember a trip to Yap where my nanny was from. We were visiting her relatives and there were half naked and fully naked women running in a circle as part of a cultural ritual. It was a memorable experience and I have not encountered a more ‘different’ situation since then. Most Marine biologists travel in order to determine how different environments affect its inhabitants. I feel I will be able to adapt to the different countries in order to get along with the natives.
I come from a family rooted world filled with aquatic adventure and diverse cultural experiences which have lead to my dream of becoming a world renown, traveling marine biologist.