Engineering Essays | Teen Ink

Engineering Essays

By SometimesTina GOLD, Plymouth, Minnesota
SometimesTina GOLD, Plymouth, Minnesota

Genuine tragedies in the world are not conflicts between right and wrong.  They are conflicts between two rights.  ~Georg Hegel

As a child, I always wanted to know how and why things were, but adults, fed up with constant interrogations, often brushed me off by suggesting that I ask someone else or look up the answer myself. This was before I had access to the Internet, so I turned to books to tell me the meaning of new words or what the Earth looks like from space. I remember one day after school in fifth grade, I curled up on the floor with a dictionary, intent to learn every word in it. I don’t believe I ever got past the c’s, but this was only the beginning of my passion for reading, and eventually writing.

When I turned eight, I decided I was finally old enough to pursue my dream of becoming an author. Inspired by my stuffed animals, I spent hours writing and illustrating a plotless sixty-page “novel” about a cat, a dog, and a bird that embarked on a “grand endvencher.” At the time, convinced that it would soon be published and make me famous, the only future I could see for myself was that of a successful writer.

Unfortunately, my parents crushed that dream when they kindly suggested that I wait until I was a little older before trying to publish something. I took their advice and disheartened with reading, turned to other ways to learn what algebra is and why I can't feel myself careening through space with the rest of Earth’s inhabitants. The hours I previously spent reading I now spent outside – I had resolved to learn everything through the power of my own observations. But there's only so much one can figure out through pure speculation – I inevitably turned back to questioning adults about whether we all perceive colors the same or about the causes of the forces I experienced while swinging at the playground. My grandparents began calling me their "little scientist," and I took pride in the term immediately. Being an author would be cool, but being a scientist sounded even cooler.

Six years later and entering high school, I no longer had dreams of becoming an author, but instead of becoming a scientist, although I still didn’t know what scientists actually do. My sophomore year of high school, I stumbled across Advanced Competitive Science (ACS), a class teaching the introductory aspects of engineering. (Until that point, I had never even heard of engineering, which I only suspected meant a career highly involved with driving trains.) I enjoyed the hands-on experience and signed up for level two the next year, already thinking that I would enjoy becoming an engineer some day. On a whim, I also signed up for an AP Language and Composition class that caught my interest – I had never completely forgotten how much I had wanted to become an author while growing up.

The next year, I found myself in an odd situation because although I still loved everything about engineering: the visualization, the problem solving, the math, I was spending more time at night thinking about essays for my AP Comp class, not thinking about my search and rescue robot. Every day, I waited all morning for AP Comp to begin, and after it ended, I waited for the day to end so I could go home and revise my essays. Writing became an obsession, and I was surprised that I didn't mind that.

I found writing to be a lot like engineering, contrary to what any staunch writer or engineer might testify: there is never a right answer, creativity is a must, don’t waste words/materials, and a truly good finished product requires many hours of work.

Despite my discovery, I quickly learned that there really isn’t a good career for an engineer who loves to write or a writer who loves to engineer. With limited space in my schedule this year, I made the decision to pursue engineering instead of journalism for my elective space, but I’m still conflicted: should I build things with my words or with my hands? Maybe I'll have to compromise – the world could use some more essays about writers driving trains.