Where To Go | Teen Ink

Where To Go

January 26, 2014
By Outcast4God PLATINUM, Farmersville, Texas
Outcast4God PLATINUM, Farmersville, Texas
33 articles 2 photos 53 comments

Favorite Quote:
"When I look at the night sky and see the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars you have set in place-- what mortals that you should think of us. Mere humans that you should care for us.
---Psalms 8:3-4


Every kid gets asked the same question: where do you want to go to college? It can be a fusterating question. Because, a lot of the time, we don't know. Sure, there are some kids that know exactally what they want to do from the minute they're born... lucky them. But most of us aren't like that. We change our minds a million times over by the time we're ready. But I've learned something.

College is just a school. True, it is the path to your future, but it's still just a building. There are millions like it. So why do we worry so much about which one we're going to?

I'm currently in 10th grade. I've been worrying about where I'm going to go. What I'm going to major in. I love journalism, but most of the schools that offer it are pretty expensive. For the past year I've been trying to get my grades up so I can start duel credit. College is pretty important to me.

However, all this school has been taking time away from my personal life. I'm not spending time with my family and friends. I've been blowing off God. And that's stupid. God should be first in my life... I know that. But, for some reason, I haven't changed what I'm doing. And I think I've figured out why.

My mom is a great person. She loves me, we're really close, and, since I'm homeschooled, she's my teacher. But it's not always easy having her as my teacher. Whenever I get a bad grade she tells me she knows I can do better. Then she tells me how, when she was my age, she finished her work on Monday and helped the teacher the rest of the week. She tells me about how she graduated college summa cumlaude (best in the class). And it makes me feel stupid. I know that's not her intention, but I feel that way. But this year, I've decided something.

I'm not going to worry about it. Yes, I'll still try my best. But I'm not going to make a big deal out of it. Why? Because it's taking up too much time. And I have faith that God will put me where he wants me. I'm not going to franticlly search colleges. God will tell me where he wants me to go, if at all! God should be number one in my life. I need to put all my worries upon him. That's what he wants. But I keep trying to reslove things myself.

Since I've stopped caring, I've felt much better. I don't feel as stressed and rushed. I've been spending more time with my family and friends. I've become happier... I even went to see a concert! So, the next time someone asks you where you're going to college, or what you're planning to do, just say "I don't know".


The author's comments:
:)