Do Minorities Deserve College More Than The Rest? | Teen Ink

Do Minorities Deserve College More Than The Rest?

By Zinkerman SILVER, Houston, Texas
Zinkerman SILVER, Houston, Texas

Poor and starving kids in East St. Louis walk through halls laden with sewage. They don’t even have the chance to go to school half the time because the sewage is toxic and could harm them. More than half of the senior girls are pregnant and don’t care about life anymore. This is something that every kid that is working hard to get into a good college is thinking about. They are wondering if they won’t get into the college of their choice because of affirmative action. Affirmative action gives you extra brownie points on your resume, which makes you more likely to get in. Many teenagers that have great grades and test scores are not getting accepted because they are not part of a minority. The arising question is affirmative action the right thing to do or is it just making racism worse? Or is it fair that someone that is poor and came from a bad school should get extra points, because they didn’t get as good of an education as someone who went to a private school? What has America come to, accepting minorities just to have diversity in their school, even if it is sacrificing integrity and school pride.

Working hard your whole life and having a resume as long as the Chicago Towers is high and still getting rejected by a college. That’s what affirmative action is, it allows minorities extra points on their resume just because they are a minority. I don’t about you but I don’t think that is even close to being right. Someone could work their whole life to get into a good college and another person could coast their whole life and get in just because they are a minority. You should have to meet standards because it is not fair that this should ever happen to any hard working American. We should make sure that person that gets in on extra points is actually tries and doesn’t waist it, and if he waist it then they should kick him out and accept the hard worker. Sounds like something Obama would support.

True the people in poverty stricken areas don’t have the best education, but they could make the most of it and try harder. By trying harder and showing the colleges that you try hard even though you don’t go to the best school will set you apart from the rest of the applicants. I think they should look longer and harder at your resume if you come from a poverty stricken area, but not give you bonus points and especially not a lot. As long as you have good grades and try hard then they aren’t going to be beat out by some lazy rich kid.

Racism has been around for hundreds of years and will probably continue for a while. Race should have nothing to do with getting into college, it should be based on how you perform. So many people have tried to create diversity in the colleges, but is that really better? Do we want to accept someone that might not be as good as another person but is a minority? This could lower their schools average test score if you do this too much, but if you control it then it could give benefits. If you control it then you will have diversity and keep the high test averages. Besides when you use affirmative action it is just flipping the tables on racism. You just started to accept a lot of minorities but now you left out the middle class white person and that’s not fair. So you have to find that perfect median or else it doesn’t work.

Lowering test scores to create diversity in colleges, and sacrificing school pride to make sure the diversities get an equal shot at getting in. If you are trying to get into Harvard and get rejected because they accepted someone that isn’t as smart as you, but they are a minority that doesn’t seem fair. It’s not fair that the smarter person wasn’t accepted because he isn’t a minority. This is why many people don’t like affirmative action, but I think there can be a balance between minorities and none minorities. That is what affirmative action should try to do! It should create that balance so that smart people get a chance and the minorities that try hard and work hard get a chance.

Katie1234 GOLD said...
Katie1234 GOLD, Velva, North Dakota

"When life becomes more than you can stand; fall to your knees"
"To be normal is to be boring."
"You cannot make men good by law."
"Christians believe that Jesus Christ is the son of God because He said so."
"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you."

You want to know how to abolish racism that harms more than just the minorities? STOP TALKING ABOUT IT! Let everyone in this country earn things for themselves. 

bagley777 GOLD said...
bagley777 GOLD, Tucson, Arizona

Love is a two way street. If you find yourself on a one-way road, it's time to take the next turn off.

Although I strongly agree with the point of this article, it needs a bit of work. You're coming at this very biased and not looking at both sides very well. It feels like you're implying that no poor or colored person should get into college. I know this is not your point, but I get this feeling from it because of how hard you are coming from that side. Plus you directly bring politics and the president into it, which is a big no-no! Unless you're looking to outright insult someone else's opinion. If someone else likes Obama, they should be allowed to without having to defend their opinion to an article. Anyway, that being said, race shouldn't even have to be on college resumes anymore, in my opinion.

jeseer PLATINUM, Auburntown, Tennessee

"Truth without love is a killer, but love without truth is a liar. The Bible commands us to have both: It says to speak the truth in love."--Elliott Nesch
"To love another person is to see the face of God."--Victor Hugo

For your information, since you think you know me by my commments, I am not a priviledged kid..just a thinking one. I don't subscribe to the spoon fed, liberal lies that this generation has been raised on. I look at the truth and see that programs like affirmative action are the very programs DESIGNED to cause DIVISION NOT EQUALITY. Your comment, which had absolutely no validity and offered nothing to the argument, was totally expected. Any time anyone offers up a valid argument against the liberal mind, it is always answered with ignorance and/or insults. I'm sorry that once again this is the case. With that being said, I don't wish you any ill will, just hope one day that your eyes will be opened to the truth of programs like these, and see that it is this very rhetoric that keeps us seperated and divided accross racial and social lines.

Amelia_K SILVER, San Francisco, California

"You know how some people say, 'You can't live without love'? Well, oxygen is even more important." -- Dr. Gregory House, House M.D.

Speaking like a true privileged kid ...

jeseer PLATINUM, Auburntown, Tennessee

Agreed. You can't fight racism with racism: it would be a contradiction.

jeseer PLATINUM, Auburntown, Tennessee

Affirmitive action does not equal equality. Equal opportunities to parake in sports, exta-curricular activities, work, etc. are, in fact, prooviding equality. These opportunities would be transportation and waiving on fees (which, at least in Tennessee, fees are waived). Government doesn't have to violate the Fourteenth Amendmant in order to creat equality, which affrmative action does. King Jr. never proposed such advantages,  just equality.

jeseer PLATINUM, Auburntown, Tennessee

Affirmitive action, if anything, is discrimination. Race should never be considered as a factor in employmen or admission. If minorities (as children and teens) don't have access for transportation to extra-curricular activiti\es and similar opportunities,  the government should focus more on these issues (activies that don't require merit, qualifieduccatiion, ect.) THAT is equality. It is simply unfair to throw in a race factor into something based on merit, work ethic, or competence in education.

Elementary said...
Regardless of my opinion on the matter, I must disagree with your undeserved praise of "well-written." This essay is written in English, and considering the viewpoint, the author is probably a white American who grew up learning and speaking English. Of course, I cannot judge either your first language or the author's, but the spelling errors even without the grammar and organizational issues severely detract from the point of the piece.

fefe176 said...
So many things i disgree with everyone in this page, but sir, mam, whichever; you absoultely make no sense this is a 'LOL" moment but i had to say something.

Fefe177 said...
I strongly agree with a few points brought up however, this article demonstrates ignorance as well. As an Ivy League minority student, I can ensure you I my dedication to education has always been a priority of mine. Admissions committee is more linnets with minorities’ student for the following:  If a student of color living in an environment with minimal resource, chances of going to college are slim.  So if these students excel and beats the odds, imagine how much better they could have done inside of a "rich environment". Diversity as cliché as it sounds is desired for many institute because diversity not only enriches the educational experience it promotes personal growth and a healthy society with better understanding among the different races. Affirmative action may not seem “fair” to the majority, but the minority students accepted into top institutes have proven the can bring more to the university than just a new color blend, also the applicant pool of Caucasian triples the amount minority pool (in regards to top institutes) and the admissions would be frown upon if they not accept any of the minorities. (which is usually less than 8%) Overall minority students don’t just vagrant to any school. We are just as prestigious as any student trying to "better themselves”. I understand why the majority would be perplexed but it does not mean you need to contempt someone else for rejection to a dream school.

123Sesame said...
123Sesame, New York, New York
I'm sorry if I was unclear. I myself haven't faced problems like this yet, but a few of my senior friends have. I've listened to their stories, but haven't jumped to any conclusions in regards to why they didn't get into the schools they applied to. I just couldn't help but wondering  if this topic might be the case, because some people ( and some schools) are unfair, and there are certain amounts of evidence to prove that. However, you make a fantastic point when saying that sometimes it's easier to put someone else at fault than admit to yourself that you just didn't make the cut. I do agree with you there.

Zinkerman, I'm sorry, but you're so trapped in your world of privilege that you have no idea what it's like to not have it.

You're not being racially oppressed. You have no idea what that's like. Sorry, but I think it's insulting to those who really are to say that you have been, too.

P.S. I am also caucasion.

If you think all deserving people should get an equal shot, why are you against the practice that gives equally hard-working kids at a disadvantage exactly that?

Amen. Couldn't agree more.

How do you know that's why you were rejected? It's just an assumption because facing the fact that it wasn't someone else's fault is painful. It's about whether or not you're a good fit for that school, not about what your race is.

I think a bunch of people here are speaking from the heart instead of looking at this from a historical and fact-based standpoint. I also think it's offensive to say that racial minorities don't work as hard as you, or that they "coast" through high school. That's not true, and honestly, that's downright offensive.

Look, guys, affirmative action exists to make things equal for minorities. It's doesn't give them an advantage over you. It just makes them equal to you. If you didn't get into your dream school, it wasn't because of affirmative action. It's because you weren't a good fit for the school.

Because of oppression, racial minorities still struggle to have access to the same privileges those of us who have not been oppressed have. Being discriminated against makes it harder to get a job, make money, and get paid the same amount.

I understand that it's frustrating if you're not a minority, but at the end of the day, it's really not discriminating against you. It's giving kids who are already at a disadvantage a way to become equal with people who, because they are not a minority, have a level of privilege and power many minorities don't.

I think what you're failing to see through the frustration that comes with college applications is that minorities are working just as hard as you (again, not "coasting" as you so offensively stated), but without affirmative action, would still be at a disadvantage. There's a correlation between race and poverty. Poorer schools, neighborhoods, and people don't have access to as many extracurricular activities, tutors, classes, well-trained teachers, and college counselors. Racial minorities are more likely to get bullied, exiled, and stereotyped.

Look, if you get good grades and scores, have rock-star essays, and are also active in multiple extracurricular activities, you're well on your way to getting into a good college. But again, if you didn't get in to one particular school, it wasn't because of affirmative action. It's because you weren't the best fit for the school.

It's painful to get rejected, but affirmative action is not to blame.

primrose19 said...

Although I agree with you that affirmative action is ridiculous, this article needs some serious work. The grammar mistakes detract from your main point. Also, try adding in some statistics and quotations to back up your statements. 

I do agree with you, though. Accepting an applicant because they are black or hispanic or asian is racist. Racism is not always against the minority. Giving someone an opportunity because they are a minority is just as unfair as taking one away.

JaliyaBelle GOLD, New York City, New York

It's a sign of great inner insecurity to be hostile to the unfamiliar. -Anais Nin

I find this article very interesting! my parents warn me that because i'm chinese, i have to work harder to get into an ivy league university, since there are so many qualified asian students (both in america and outside of america) competing for a spot in these universities. even though you might consider asians a minority race, they actually arent' in the student population of many top schools. but the good news is that there are universities (like yale) that say they don't consider race or wealth when looking through student applications, and also evaluate merit based on the opportunities available to each student (ie. if your school doesn't offer latin or advanced classes or a variety of art and music, it doesn't put you at a disadvantage compared to a student who takes latin, advanced classes, etc at a better school.) i think all hardworking and qualified students deserve an equal chance when applying to colleges, despite whatever opportunities might have been available to them in the past.

Caleb.Andrews, London, Other

Multi vad, putini pricep.

My thoughts exactly, and extremely well-written! Five stars for sure!