Putting Myself Back in the Narrative | Teen Ink

Putting Myself Back in the Narrative

By raineybutsunny GOLD, Chicago, Illinois
raineybutsunny GOLD, Chicago, Illinois

Summary:

In "Putting Myself Back in the Narrative" by Rainey Reese, we follow the heartfelt journey of Aaliyah Johnson, a young African American woman. Aaliyah's narrative is profoundly personal, as she takes us on her quest for self-discovery and connection to her cultural heritage.

At the heart of this essay lies the plea for the repatriation of a looted Benin bronze, currently housed in the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Aaliyah fervently argues that this artifact isn't just an object; it symbolizes historical injustices and an integral part of African American heritage. She poignantly draws connections between colonial violence, the Trans-Atlantic slave trade, and the profound cultural loss experienced by African Americans.

The response from the Metropolitan Museum of Art is equally thought-provoking. The museum defines itself as a universal institution, aiming to enrich all of humanity by providing diverse stories and perspectives through its collection. This sparks a compelling dialogue about the roles of museums, cultural preservation, and the intricate dynamics of repatriation in the context of historical wrongs.

In essence, "Putting Myself Back in the Narrative" weaves personal reflection with a broader exploration of the ethical and historical complexities surrounding repatriation. Aaliyah's narrative voice is impassioned, urging us to consider the profound implications of cultural heritage, identity, and the necessity of addressing historical injustices.

Rainey R.

Putting Myself Back in the Narrative