Sports Broadcasting Camp | Teen Ink

Sports Broadcasting Camp

By sportsjournkid21 BRONZE, Warrenton, Virginia
sportsjournkid21 BRONZE, Warrenton, Virginia

Over 3,000 kids have had the summers I’ve experienced. I’m positive that every single one went back home, wishing the camp lasted the entire summer break, and deciding with the friends they’d made at camp which session to attend next year. Sports Broadcasting Camp currently hosts eleven-to-eighteen year olds in great sports cities such as Atlanta, North Jersey, L.A., Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia and Houston. I went to SBC two years in a row; once in Washington D.C., and this past summer, I attended Baltimore.
Sports Broadcasting Camp is ran by two genuinely friendly, kid-savvy, and approachable guys- Jeremy Treatman and Steve Goldstein. They founded the camp in 2002 with a mission of training a new generation of sports broadcasters and giving them a network of peers who had the same dream. A typical camp goes to a baseball game to make play by play tapes. Campers also get to make a radio show, film themselves doing anchoring and stand-ups, and so much more. We get to meet real professionals in the business, and even athletes. Mock press conferences are held with the players. The camp is only five days long, but every kid walks away with a knowledge of sports broadcasting and on camera etiquette, and a feel for being part of the sports media. We get to keep the tapes of us made during our week.
Many campers go every summer; some go to multiple camps in one summer. It never gets boring, and every camp, you learn something new and gain new experience. SBC already has former campers working for ESPN Radio, the NHL Network, among other television stations. Many of the campers go onto great communication schools like Penn State or Syracuse. Personally, Sports Broadcasting Camp has given me the confidence to participate in sports communication activities during the school year. Every year that I return, I have the time of my life and learn a surfeit of broadcasting elements that will help me when I get into ‘the real world’ and am looking for a career in the sports media. There is no better camp, class, or seminar on sports communication than Sports Broadcasting Camp.

Three Words: Best.Camp.EVER!