Camp Caribou | Teen Ink

Camp Caribou MAG

My heart stopped when I saw the sixty-foot tree I would be climbing, and shuddered when I glanced at the twenty-foot drop to the water at the foot of the tree. It was my task to climb the tree, jump off, and zip down a 150-yard wire to the surface of the water at the opposite end of the cove. I climbed up the tree,and reached a platform where my instructor was waiting. The instructor signaled me to jump, and off the platform I fell. I felt a free fall sensation for four seconds, and then quickly descended. The Zip Wire is just one of the many adventures that can be found on the Camp Caribou ropes course, headed by Greg Bragg.

Along with Greg there are many excellent counselors at Camp Caribou. Martin Parra heads a great tennis program, which participates in and hosts many tournaments. Lars Jonasson is Caribou's Head Counselor and basketball coach, but most important, he is everybody's friend. Lars is the kind of guy you want to impress, and he has captured the respect of everyone at Caribou. The main reason Camp Caribou is so special is because of its directors, Bill and Martha Lerman. The Lermans are always available to talk about any problems. They help run all the camp programs and make sure you're enjoying yourself. Bill and Martha make the big step of going to an overnight camp an easy one.

Caribou is also unique in that all of the campers are friendly and easygoing. I found, for me, that there was no competitive atmosphere, no enemies, and no pressure. Camp Caribou is definitely a camp experience I've enjoyed. n