Summer Science Program | Teen Ink

Summer Science Program MAG

By Anonymous

   I was chosen during the summer of 1992 and I had the opportunity to attend a three-week science program at Central Connecticut State University. This program was sponsored by the National Science Foundation for students all over the Northeast who demonstrated an interest in science. I seized the opportunity and wrote an essay describing my qualifications for this program. I was ecstatic to learn that I was one of the selected candidates.

There were four choices of programs: aquatic, space, human and electronics. I chose the aquatic since I have an interest in marine biology. We took many trips to do field studies. We had access to the campus computers, laboratory, and lab equipment. I learned the process of titration.

I am now a high school sophomore enrolled in honors biology. I feel I have an advantage over other students as a result of this summer experience since I have learned about new instruments and techniques in the lab. Recently in biology we were involved in a project testing the local water quality of nearby lakes, rivers, streams, and ponds in Connecticut, which is almost exactly what I did in camp.

Another advantage of this program was I became accustomed to living on a college campus and developed a sense of independence. I was responsible for following a specific schedule, attending classes in the correct buildings, and maintaining a daily diary of my academic experiences.

If you ever have a chance to go to a similar program, I would strongly recommend this experience to any student. L