Squid Game: A Critique Exposing Society's Monetary And Moral Debt | Teen Ink

Squid Game: A Critique Exposing Society's Monetary And Moral Debt

June 20, 2024
By khak BRONZE, Porter Ranch, California
khak BRONZE, Porter Ranch, California
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

In a time of heightened economic uncertainty and reinvented forms of companionship, Squid Game, a dystopian show set in the modern day, captivated viewers worldwide with its release in 2021. Utilizing the apparent precariousness of modern work and relationships, illuminated since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020, Squid Game prompted societal reflection on wealth inequality and the dire need for connection. Masked by an exterior of barbarity, Squid Game is a social critique that delicately exposes the crippling moral debt within our hearts. 

Although the storyline is highly imaginative, the truly unsettling aspect of this film is its relative plausibility, evoking a shared trauma in the 111 million viewers worldwide: the pandemic. With its release after the height of the pandemic, there was a common ground for the resonation and captivation of the millions of viewers. Shared experiences lived in the back of the viewers’ minds, tying each episode to the world around them. This show possessed a depth unlike any other as the new rounds of mind games, financial struggles, and the agonizing possibility of “elimination” were not only fictitious components of the show but a parallel of the real-life stories of viewers through the lockdown.

The show revolves around Korean civilians in significant debt who are recruited to participate in a deadly series of children's games to compete for a cash prize. Gilded as childhood nostalgia, is ​​a sinister undercurrent that exposes the moral bankruptcy of society. The idea of taking something beloved and twisting it into a matter of life or death has a certain haunting persistence, intriguing viewers to continue with this psychological thriller. 

A crucial aspect of Squid Game is its unique architecture, which conveys a deep message using childlike sets for grotesque events. The configurations highlight simplistic colors and shapes, emitting an innocent essence. The set designs are constructed of shapes that, at first glance, appear simple and playful. However, as you continue looking, they become confusing and inescapable (most notably, the iconic Squid Game stairs). In the notorious honeycomb candy scene (뽑기), the players fight for their lives on a playground. The set is designed in a way that makes the players seem microscopic in comparison to the huge slide and monkey bars surrounding them, reinstating that childlike concept, and even the wallpaper that encompasses them is whimsical (hand-drawn clouds). The usage of primary school icons conveys a deeper meaning of a loss of innocence which was beautifully and expertly executed through the stark juxtaposition between the sets, games, and deadly contests. From the storyline to the characters, even down to the set designs, this show is artfully executed with a cohesion that creates a sense of unease, leaving viewers on the edge of their seats and eager to start the next episode. 

Throughout the series, the “Front Man” insists on equality among the players, creating an illusion of fair game. However, this facade is exploited when it’s revealed that the Front Man received funding through society’s elite wagering on the competitors’ lives, treating them as mere pawns as they watch from above in a luxurious VIP room. The show highlights class differences, as the wealthy enjoy lavish food and furniture, entertained by the impoverished brutally fighting for their livelihoods. However, Squid Game reveals how even in seemingly humanitarian cases, there is an inescapable monetary cycle that fuels society, as both players and elites alike are driven by the same motivation: financial gain. Through the brutal nature of the show, viewers are fed the hard truth that society, constructed upon capitalistic ideals, dehumanizes individuals to the point of resorting to desperate measures.

Originally drawn in by the stunning visuals and artistry, viewers are subconsciously prompted to reflect, questioning their moral compasses through the show’s innovative illumination of societal issues. While viewers begin the show searching for a source of entertainment, they are left with internal conflict and a reminder of their harsh realities.


The author's comments:

I am a Korean-American and Squid Game holds a special place in my heart due to the publicity it brought not only to the Korean entertainment industry, but also the role it played in putting Korea on the world stage as well. With the COVID-19 Pandemic, aside from the spread of a deadly virus, there was also a spread of deadly hate, specifically towards the Asian community. Squid Game, being a show that produces an entertaining thrill, while sharing beautiful aspects of the Korean culture, alleviated some of the hate. Watching this alongside my American classmates before dubbed versions were accessible was a truly beautiful experience that I cherish. This film, as it is so universally applicable, did not evoke any sort of awkwardness or create any cultural barriers that prevented a general audience from understanding and enjoying, yet seamlessly integrated immensely traditional elements of Korean culture while doing so.

I started this idea in 2021, so many of the sentiments expressed were that of my lockdown self. Since then, I have revisited this piece, resulting in this finished and revised form that I believe adds a sense of maturity and depth that my current self is able to provide to my freshman year self. 

 

Note for the judges: While some AI checkers identify this as AI generated, I have the document and its history since 2021 to prove this is entirely my work, if necessary.