The Masterpiece that is 'Fly' | Teen Ink

The Masterpiece that is 'Fly'

By Jonkawonka SILVER, Tirana, Other
Jonkawonka SILVER, Tirana, Other

Breaking Bad is one of the, if not, the best show of all time. The acting, story, visuals, and emotions of the series are unique, and the show is nothing short of a masterpiece. Most episodes have a rating of more than 8.5/10 in IMDb. But one episode stands out from the whole show: season 3, episode 10, a.k.a. Fly. This episode has a relatively simple plot, following Walt and his lab partner Jesse struggling to kill a fly which managed to get into the lab, but many people watch the episode without thinking about the deeper meaning and symbolism. In this essay, I will talk about as to why this episode is very underrated and the importance of it in the show as a whole  
The episode contains a great deal of symbolism in different forms. First, the fly, which is the central character in the story. Even though it might seem like a little, harmless creature, Walter claims that it could ruin an entire batch of goods. “...we need to destroy it and every trace of it so we can cook. Failing that... we’re dead. There is no more room for error. Not with these people.” (“Fly” 20:52). Walt's level of anxiety and worry about the situation is evident in this quote. The drug lords who run the lab and have power over Walter and Jesse are referred to as "these people." We can also see how Walt has started to realize the situation he has gotten himself stuck in. A situation where he is constantly in danger and no matter where he goes, he cannot do anything to make the drug lord angry. This includes the failure of one single batch. Furthermore, Walt had closed every single area where the fly could go in, no matter how unlikely it may seem for the fly to get in. This shows signs of Walt’s perfectionism. Another side of Walt that the fly might help reveal is his need for control. A fly is an unpredictable and small creature, who just like Walt said, could potentially have them dead. Killing the fly means no more chaos in the lab and Walt regaining control. Just like the fly, some events in his life are also chaotic and unpredictable. His involvement in the drug business has led him to get into dangerous scenarios and conflicts which take away control over his own life. Just like Walt was losing his mind the more he struggled in killing the fly, he had been losing his mind continuously in the show as he lost his control and power over his family and himself.  
“The episode could have been way more exciting and didn’t have to spend the full 45 minutes following a fly.” That was the problem many people had with Fly. The episode itself has a ridiculous premise. If someone were to read the plot of the episode by itself, they would think it was a joke. The whole episode revolves around chasing a fly; at least that’s what people believe.  
When Jesse noticed that Walt was having trouble comprehending and coping with the conflict at hand, he decided to trick him into letting out his stress. Jesse makes coffee for the two of them but puts sleeping pills secretly into Walt’s drink. This shows that he knows Walt is observant and intelligent and decides to do this at the time Walt is most vulnerable. It also adds to the suspense of the story by making viewers excited to see a relaxed and honest Walt for probably the first time in the show. During the conversation, Walt starts reflecting on his actions and talking about the grief he has built up. He talks about the time he should have died, also meaning the time he had provided just enough money for his family, but also when the moral consequences of his actions caught up to him. For me personally, this part served as a summary for the significant events that had happened previously. After their conversation, Walt finally manages to kill the fly. The fact that it was after, links the fly to the feelings of regret and guilt he had and how he struggled to control them, but after talking to Jesse about the events he had faced, he managed to kill the fly. The Fly was a perfect representation of Walt’s feelings and I think that viewers would have found the episode more interesting if they realized that.  
In conclusion, I think that Fly is a genius episode that portrayed Walt’s character perfectly and the inner conflicts he has with himself. The fly represents Walt’s perfectionism and need for control, as well as the regret and guilt he has built up continuously until that point. I think people would have enjoyed the premise of the episode if they knew what it meant beforehand. I wouldn’t blame first-time watchers for not particularly enjoying the plot, but I do think that it has been treated too harshly among the Breaking Bad fans. 

My name is Jon and I'm 14.