The Deer Society | Teen Ink

The Deer Society

By MicahNelson212 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
MicahNelson212 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

“He's down,” are the words voiced after almost every converted opportunity on what I think is a phenomenal show. “The Deer Society,” whether it’s legendary Minnesotan hunter JJ Dukart or any other well-versed deer hunter on this show; these words never fail to bring me closer to my Tv and further from reality. “The Deer Society” is an organization and Tv show designed to bring hunters together through stories and the hunting of mature whitetail deer; if that's to be entertained or to learn new things is not their focus. This review contains the following: Why I think “The Deer Society” is an incredible show, how it got me into hunting, what it's taught me, and what I don't like about the show—all delivered with complete honesty and no bias based on opinion.

The first thing I loved about this show was its ability to draw people in and the connections I could make with people because of it. I have made countless conversations with friends because of how this show impacted me. The whole show consists of hundreds of episodes about anything and everything deer hunting related and contains successful hunts, non-successful hunts, and trophy whitetail deer around every corner I explore. But perhaps the best thing this show has done for me is to get me closer to friends and family through stories and hunts together. And with a newly found interest in deer hunting; several of the tactics used in the show have helped me see, and get an opportunity to harvest more deer while hunting. 

Another great thing this show does is to introduce younger people to deer hunting, the show teaches all people as if they’re beginners and even has youth hunts hosted for children and teenagers. This show aims to get younger individuals into deer hunting, and a way the producers do this is by informational specials, whether that be the basics of hunting like safety and noise levels or how to call in a deer and get more encounters. If someone is new to hunting or hasn't ever hunted before, “The Deer Society” is a great resource on how to stay safe and have more fun while deer hunting. This show also looks into the history of the deer they hunt through trail cameras and game cameras, which helps gain an appreciation for what is truly an untamed and resilient species, the white-tailed deer.

But with all these positives, some negatives are bound to arise. One of these is the promotion of trophy hunting and lack of conservation in the episodes; the hunters are only looking to harvest the biggest and most mature deer on a specific property. This means often they are letting hundreds of other deer pass because of their “subpar” genetics. The show also sets unreal expectations because of the size and antler mass of the deer they harvest which is simply not possible in some area codes. So when the hunters on the show are in the best areas taking giant deer, people think it's achievable in their location and are disappointed when expectations fall short. These deer are solely harvested for the entertainment of viewers and for promotion of their show; which I don't like.  And though these drawbacks might steer viewers away from the show, I still highly encourage anyone, hunter or not, to give “The Deer Society” a chance.

Through spending time writing this review the words “he's down” have taken on a new meaning for me. Seeing the look on the hunters' faces as they bend over to examine their trophies truly shows how much these hunters enjoy what they do, and how much time in their life goes into one animal. In all honesty, I was skeptical of deer hunting when I was younger, questioning their morals and reasons why they hunt, but I've since realized. Anything that brings me closer to the people I enjoy spending time with is a worthwhile way to make connections. This review went over the positives and negatives of my favorite show, “The Deer Society, and why I think it's an amazing show. I would hope this text persuades anyone looking to start a new chapter in their life to watch “The Deer Society,” for it can change lives as it did mine.