Moonknight Review | Teen Ink

Moonknight Review

May 17, 2022
By Jackb147 BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Jackb147 BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments


The past couple of Marvel series have been decent, so seeing another one produced so quickly had my expectations low. To my surprise, this series was quite the opposite of my initial impressions. Moonknight is an interesting and confusing series, with concepts that toy with your mind. Starting with Steven, a very odd man who works for a museum. Off the bat, we were given odd details about Steven. He comes off as unconfident, timid, and quite jittery. 

As the series continues, we keep getting more details that lead to a vastly more complex story than I expected. We learn later on that Steven is not just alone, but somebody else's conscious is living along with him. A man named Mark Specter. We are also introduced to the god Conchu, who Mark was an avatar for, meaning he was Conchu’s physical form. From there, Steven is slowly learning more and more about who he is and where he or Mark came from. The storyline begins to get more and more twisted, and both Steven and Mark fight for control of the one body they share, all while being controlled by Conchu. 

The reason I think this series is really well done is that it is so unique and a concept Marvel has never dabbled into. First of all, a setting in Egypt dealing with ancient gods roaming around in avatars has massive potential. Secondly, the series introduces two consciences sharing one body, two souls trying to be separate from one another. They have to deal with this, all while a god attempts to use them to do his biddings. 

The amount of different twists this series has is truly awesome. The plot development is the strongest point this show has, and I think it is one of Marvel's best plots for a series.

I really liked the way they introduced the characters Mark, Steven, and Conchu. Starting with Steven, he was shown as helpless, lonely, and afraid. He is deeply obsessed with the ancient Egyptian gods, and where they came from. He starts off the series acting very strange, doing things like trying to keep himself awake, and sleeping chained to his bed. It is slowly revealed that he has these dreams which cause him to sleepwalk, and that is the purpose of the chains. He begins to find clues in his dreams and is then introduced to Conchu, then Mark. All of this is happening as Steven is slowly getting more and more miserable and confused, and begins to get himself in more unfortunate situations.  

Conchu is introduced to us before Mark is, with Conchu toying with Steven at first, knowing that he is weak and unhelpful in Conchu’s eyes. Steven is petrified of Conchu, and this makes the plot tense and uncertain. At first, it is very uncertain as to who Conchu is until we are introduced to Mark. 

 Mark is finally introduced to us when Steven is confronted by an attack of ancient Jackals, summoned by Omit’s future avatar. These Jackals chase Steven into a mirror room, and through these mirrors Mark talks to Steven, forcing Steven to give up his body to him to help protect the both of them.  After saving the two’s life, Mark is then forced to explain the situation to Steven, which sets the series up for an outstanding six episodes. 

These two big reasons, the character development and plot development, make the series Moonknight enjoyable and confusing all in one.