Peaky Blinder Review | Teen Ink

Peaky Blinder Review

May 17, 2022
By Anonymous

I didn’t understand the idea of the show when I read the description on Netflix. I thought the name of the show was bombastic and silly, Peaky Blinders. And then it talks about the fierce Tommy Shelby, a crime boss set on moving up in the world no matter the cost. Still confused, I was stunned and surprised to see what the show would turn out to be.


Peaky Blinders is a show about a low-life gangster family who has a rich and prestigious reputation that shakes fear into others. While the family is coming to find their place in the dirty, gangster world that is 1919 Birmingham England, enemies come together to try and foil this family of this power. Danger mixed with the common family drama makes for a show that is like no other that you can find anywhere else today.


I don’t think a show has made such an impact on showing how men and women have different roles to play. It does such a good job showing how powerful women can be even in that day and age. How the men go out and get the dirty work done, while the women are behind scenes making sure the businesses run from the inside. But a couple of times we do see the women take the matters into their own hands. It is truly awesome and spine-chilling to watch different shots of the men and the women of the Shelby family stroll down the street in slow motion to Black Sabbath, Whilst the men look scary and fierce the women’s vibes in the shots just scream, “You don’t want to mess with us”. With their beautiful dresses and hats, you can’t stop and not say, “That’s so badass!” As you watch you have to let go of your cynicism. As a result, the swagger becomes increasingly difficult to resist as time goes on. How the men dress in their uptight suits partnered with a beret that has a razor blade hidden in the brim. These fads and fashions were ideas that people in today’s world couldn’t resist taking a liking to.     


It is tough to balance family and business with one another. Still, I think this show does an amazing job at showing the hardships that come with a family business but also the benefits that a family business has to a world filled with countless enemies. One outstanding feature that I can’t get enough of is the brutal contrast between the realms of power and money—and the filthy, ripped fingernails of heinous violence required to reach them. 


I can’t possibly touch on every little, well-done thing that this has done over the years. But if I were to give a piece of advice to anyone about getting into this series. Go in with an open mind, because it does take a bit for you to understand the world and the story that is already playing out. But quickly you will catch on. There is not another show like it out there with this same idea and concept of old times drug dealers and gangsters. Yes, there are others like it, but none are on the same level as Peaky Blinders.


The author's comments:

This show is too good, not to talk about it. I think everyone should give it a chance. It has something for everyone.