Big Brother Season 20 Review | Teen Ink

Big Brother Season 20 Review

By ElizabethCoyne SILVER, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
ElizabethCoyne SILVER, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey

Welcome back to Biiiggg Brotheeerrr! Hosted by the lovable Julie Chen every summer on CBS, Big Brother is a reality themed competition show that revolves around strategy, relationships, and deception. The show surrounds 16 'houseguests' at the beginning of the summer who essentially have no privacy. With no connection to the outside world through phones or internet access and cameras/microphones watching their every move, they are left to fend for themselves in a house filled with others fighting for the same grand prize. The first place winner is awarded $500,000 while the runner-up is given $25,000. The main goal of each houseguest is to last another week in the house until all have been eliminated except one. About halfway through the elimination process, the eliminated houseguests go straight to the 'Jury House', where they continue to stay in seclusion with the other eliminated houseguests, but now free to spill secrets they no longer have to keep for themselves. It is these jury members that vote on live finale night between the two contestants for the winner.

The show consists each week of a series of challenges and decisions; the head of household, the power of veto, and eviction night. These allow the houseguests to fight for power and their spot in the house, while also fighting for their friends and other alliance members fate. With fun lingo and inside jokes for 'Big Brother Superfans' the show is packed full of epic challenges, juicy romances and surprising eliminations.

The Big Brother Franchise just celebrated its 20th anniversary with Season 20 premiering this past summer of 2018. Critics and fans all over have mutually agreed that this season was definitely one to remember with lots of great gameplay and alliances that split the house in half from the very early weeks of the season. Unlike any other season, there was lots of flipping back and forth through the house, aligning yourself with whoever had the most power during tat specific week. This flipping back and forth, from an audience perspective, made the show that much more intriguing to watch because it wasn't always sure who to root for. Personally, while I feel that this season showcased some of the best players of all time, there were some who weren't recognized accordingly and ended up losing in the game because of it. The secretive nature of the show allows the audience at home to get a much greater view at what is going on with each player.

Unfortunately, this also means a lot of the time players will go uncredited from the other houseguests for large and significant game moves they make, that weren't visible from inside the house. This is the reason why, in my opinion, Season 20 runner up Tyler was robbed of his place for 1st, he did not have enough time to plead his case on finale night, and impress the jury with his moves throughout the season. However, Season 20 winner Kaycee, made more game moves that involved less manipulation and more competition wins. This ultimately led to the jury thinking she was a stronger player and cast her as the winner. Kaycee was not broadcasted on television as much as Tyler, and so to most at home she seemed as though she was simply coasting through the season and relying on her alliance's success. This was a bad move on Big Brothers part, because Kaycee was not the popular vote to win and thus disappointed a lot of viewers when she won. Overall, this season was one for the books, and did not let down long time and new coming fans of the show.

The show is filled with lots of unexpected twists and turns so tune in next summer, and  as Julie Chen says 'Expect the unexpected!'