Courts, lectures and mock trial: an overview of the Intensive Law and Trial program | Teen Ink

Courts, lectures and mock trial: an overview of the Intensive Law and Trial program

By ditranigiulia BRONZE, Rome, Other
ditranigiulia BRONZE, Rome, Other

During the summer, I had the honor of participating in the Intensive Law and Trial program by Envision, at Stanford University.

I was still living in the States when I got the invitation in the mail. I was around 6 months deep into my exchange year, and finding a letter that was signed “Stanford” was a bit of a shock to me, I’m not gonna lie. The invitation talked about this program being for high achieving students that were interested in the field of law. 10 days living, in the Stanford campus, sharing the experience with people that had the same goals as you, attending lectures from Stanford professors and attorneys, and preparing for the end of the week mock trial.

Months passed, and finally, the time had arrived.

I was really excited to go back to the States. I was excited to learn more about law. Needless to say that this program did not disappoint me. I loved it, and genuinely wished that it would last longer. 

I genuinely enjoyed living on the Stanford campus (side note: it is one of the most gorgeous college campuses I have ever seen) and seeing how “college life” will be. I connected with so many people from different places, and I loved that our passion for law was connecting all of us.

The lectures were extremely interesting and never boring. They each talked about different aspects of law to help us get to know them better.

The mock trial was the best moment. We had prepared all the program for it, and finally the moment was there.

Stepping into the San Francisco courthouse was a crazy feeling. We were all dressed up elegantly, each of us excited and scared for the mock trial.

I was an attorney for the prosecution. I had to do the opening statement as well, which means I basically had to explain the case to the jury and judge, and show our reasoning to accuse the defendant. I felt like a real lawyer.

My team won the round, and I won “honorable mention” for best attorney in my round.

Overall, the Intensive Law and Trial program was a great summer “camp”. I met new people, studied something that I was passionate about, and experienced how it is both to be a college student and a lawyer.

If you think you have interest in the field of Law, this is definitely the program for you!