The Con- Tegan and Sara | Teen Ink

The Con- Tegan and Sara

By Abbye Woodward SILVER, Oxford, Massachusetts
Abbye Woodward SILVER, Oxford, Massachusetts

After stumbling upon Tegan and Sara accidentally, I became hooked. Their sound is unique, yet easy to relate to. I started listening to their latest work, progressing backwards to their very first album and have yet to be disappointed. Their latest CD, "The Con," is simply amazing.

The opening track, "I Was Married," starts the album off with a beautiful melody, both simple and sweet. The title track, "The Con," speeds things up a bit. One of the singles off the album, this is one of the most musically interesting as well. It has brilliant, if not slightly self pitying lyrics, such as, "Nobody likes to but I really like to cry. Nobody likes me, maybe if I cry."

"Are You Ten Years Ago," has a slightly remixed type beat, with haunting lyrics. The first single off the album, "Back In Your Head," is absolutely amazing. The music, the words- everything is perfect. The next song, "Hop a Plane," is another example of Tegan and Sara's amazing songwriting abilities. The catchy beat and fast chorus are a perfect follow-up to the afforementioned song. My only complaint is that it ends too soon!

"Soil Soil," has perhaps the sweetest, most genuine lyrics on the entire CD. It's beauty lies in both the words and the music, and it is by far one of my favorites. "Nineteen," is one of the better songs on the album, and will have you singing the infectious chorus in no time. The following track, "Floorplan," took a couple of listens for me to really appreciate it's beauty, but it quickly became one of the most-played tracks.

The last song, "Call it Off," is one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard. Tegan delivers breathtaking lyrics, and when backed by her sister Sara's vocals, the song approaches perfection.

I recommend this album to those who like indie or alternative music, as well as those looking to add something different to their collection. You won't be disappointed.