Demon Hunter - Storm the Gates of Hell | Teen Ink

Demon Hunter - Storm the Gates of Hell

December 22, 2008
By Anonymous

With their forthcoming album, the Christian Metal-core band Demon Hunter has returned with a breathtaking blow of force. Just the title itself gives insight on what the album is all about. Singer, Ryan Clark, his brother and guitarist, Don Clark have once again joined their like minds to create spiritual and at the same time, powerful hymns. With Jon Dunn on bass guitar, Ethan Luck on lead guitar and Tim “Yogi” Watts backing up on drums, Demon Hunter has returned to “Storm the Gates of Hell”.

The opening song is like the name of the album. It gives a mighty and an appropriate opening for this album. As singer, Clark bellows “Hell Hath no Fury at all” into the microphone, this voice shatters and gets the message well across to its audience. It is the song reaching out to the holy ones, to ask them to “Wake the lifeless, die to fight this, stand beside me, Storm the Gates of Hell”. It is a fight song for all the Christ warriors out there; to stand up and fight against evil and strike back at Satan and his sinful ways.

Following up comes the songs “Lead Us Home” and “Sixteen”. “Lead Us Home” is generally a hymn to ask God to lead us along, and guide us home. And also to bring us through life and the struggles it brings. “Sixteen” features the singer of Christian Death Metal band, Living Sacrifice, Bruce Fitzhugh. He and his long, deep growls along with those of Clark's, form the song that speaks of those in fame, and those who lose it. To not hold fast to fame and to not fail in life as a Christian. And to give that final, “sixteenth” minute to the stubborn famers.

The end of the song “Sixteen” transitions in the fourth song, and main single from the album, “Fading Away”. Being the most well known song off the album, it describes the point of view of a person who is waiting for the word of God to reach them. “I've been waiting on the call to reach my veins” is what Clark resonates in the chorus of the song. Closing in on this song comes the albums second single, “Carry Me Down”. This is the album's main ballad, and expresses deep emotion through the lyrics. At first it seems quite depressing, but actually its meaning is much more than that. It is about death, nonetheless, but the speaker is asking the listener that when they die, that they will not be sad and that they will, “Save sorrow for the souls in doubt”.

After the soulful vocals of the previous song, the songs “A Thread of Light”, “I Am You” and “Incision” all follow. These all speak the importance of Christ in our lives, all in three different ways. The meaning can be discovered by sinking into every song. Next, the rather painful and eye-opening song, “Thorns” gives the listener the idea of inflicting by cutting and how dreadful it is. And how inflicting pain on oneself brings no release, for the “broken flesh” of Christ brings us mercy. Whereas our broken flesh is “emptiness”.

The final songs of the album conclude this great piece of work, including the ending song, “The Wrath of God”. Its meaning is how it sounds; the power of God is incredible beyond all belief. This song is spoken in order to open the listener's eyes to the presence of God, and how it can't be shoved away if ignored. And it is telling the stubborn non-believe to “Find the wrath of God inside your eyes”.

Out of all the other metal bands, Demon Hunter should be more recognized. They are looked upon as either “just another metal band” or “just another Christian band”. But “Storm the Gates of Hell” shows those “others” all wrong. Nothing about Demon Hunter is passive; it's all aggressiveness, its all about Christ. Their aggressiveness is what gives the listener a great insight in the life of a Christian, both in good and bad ways. Overall, this album is an uncontainable beacon of emotion and meaning. And a well recommended choice for music for all metal fans, and all Christian music fans.