Dark Side of the Moon | Teen Ink

Dark Side of the Moon MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
1044 articles 0 photos 1 comment

     Citing Pink Floyd's “Dark Sideof the Moon” as one of the most important albums in the annals ofrock history is as cliché as stating that Black Sabbath inventedheavy metal. Those who enthusiastically announce that this album changedtheir life will receive praise from some who agree and looks of disgustfrom others who regard such statements as uninformed foolishness. Cynicswho believe music is only respectable if it is obscure fail to realizethat with “Dark Side of the Moon,” Pink Floyd not onlyreceived immense respect, they earned it.

Following the departureof original frontman Syd Barrett, bassist Roger Waters took the helm.Although the pre-Dark Side era contained occasional moments ofbrilliance, in retrospect, it is apparent that Pink Floyd had certainlynot realized their potential. Recordings like “Meddle” werealways half studio perfection, half tedious self-indulgence. Thecreation of “Dark Side of the Moon” displayed a much-awaitedmaturity of all aspects of the band.

This album ushered in a newera not only for the band, but for mainstream music. Prior to itsrelease, radio concentrated on rock 'n' roll. The mostradical pop song was probably The Beatles' “A Day in theLife.” Through “Dark Side of the Moon,” Pink Floydintroduced an intellectual subtlety to pop culture. From the gradualfade in of “Breathe,” even the most casual listener realizesthat these sounds are culturally important in an abstract sense. Trackssuch as “Money” revolutionized the use of sound sampling,and the arpeggiated chords of “Brain Damage” were vaguelyunsettling, a sharp contrast to the blues riffs that had permeated muchof rock 'n' roll at the time.

Lyrically, the themesin this album were universally significant. The words of Roger Watersdealt with existential topics like alienation, death and madness. Tothis day, these are regarded as some of the best representationsof the modern individual's struggle everconceived.

The legacy of “Dark Side of theMoon” is just as evident today as it was almost three decades ago.The use of sound samples as legitimate instruments paved the way forelectronic and rap music. The often overlooked British“shoegazer” genre of the late '80s and early'90s owes an enormous debt to the ambience of songs like“Breathe.” Perhaps the greatest testament to its historicalsignificance is the fact that to this day, teens are still discoveringthis gem that just may change their life. .