John Mayer | Teen Ink

John Mayer MAG

Last February John Mayer performed a sold-out concert at Madison Square Garden. Without question, he is my favorite singer, songwriter and guitarist. I was counting down the days until I could see this rock god in concert.

Once we were there, my friend and I saw the stage where John Mayer would soon perform. Our seats may not have been grade A, but they served their purpose.

The opening performer was kind of a blur. He definitely had a popular song but I didn’t care; I had come to see one person. After the opener finished his performance, which seemed like an eternity, I knew it would now be mere minutes. And then, it happened. John Mayer walked onto the stage and welcomed the crowd. He convinced us that this would be his best concert ever and said it was a privilege to play to a sold-out Garden.

“Belief” was his opener and everyone sang along like it was karaoke night. He played songs from his new album, “Continuum,” as well as some classics, “Bigger Than My Body,” “Your Body Is a Wonderland,” “Why Georgia,” and “Vultures.” All these were absolutely marvelous because not only did he perform them flawlessly, but he played like the rock god we all know.

His second song was my favorite, “Good Love Is on the Way.” Not many have heard it, which made me appreciate him even more. I could hear the words coming directly from John Mayer’s lips. His lyrics are so inspirational and give me hope when things get tough: “I’ll be lonely but I know I’ll be okay./Good love is on the way.”

The most surprising piece had to be his last song, “Gravity.” John Mayer put his heart and soul into every word he sang and every note he played. The audience was in his trance singing along. Suddenly, a woman began singing the last verse. “Ladies and gentlemen,” John announced, “Miss Alicia Keys!” That was when the roof flew off the Garden.

The excitement of the city, John Mayer’s talent, and the love my friend and I share for him made it a fun and unforgettable event.

faypirate23 DIAMOND, Fayetteville, West Virginia

Take the road less traveled by.

im like john mayers biggest fan ever im in love with him and his music is just like..ahhh everything to me i went and saw him in louisville ky he was absolutley amazing we had nose bleed seats but we snuck closer i almost died hes amazing