The Tortured Poets Department Album by Taylor Swift | Teen Ink

The Tortured Poets Department Album by Taylor Swift

By AthenatheGoddess PLATINUM, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
AthenatheGoddess PLATINUM, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

Look, I didn't want to be a halfblood."

Taylor Swift, you have done it again!!!! The Tortured Poets Department is a Taylor Swift album based on her recent experiences with people like Joe Alwyn and Kim Kardashian. It is pop with many sad and empowering songs for people to sing along to at her Eras Tour.

One of my favorite songs on this album would have to be “I Can Do It With A Broken Heart.” Now, while I have never had my heart broken, I understood this song on a different level. This song is about Taylor performing during the Eras Tour while falling apart because of her 6 year long relationship ending. As a teenage girl, I constantly feel like I want to just fall apart, but I know that I can’t because I have so much to do. Even though I may not be performing for thousands of people nearly every day, I understand Taylor Swift on some level with this song. 

One lyric that really stood out to me was “Were you sent by someone who wanted me dead?” from “The Smallest Man Who Ever Lived.” I have had many interactions with people that were so mean and awful that it felt like they were just trying to “kill” me and tear me down. While my relationship with those people were not romantic, I feel that Taylor and I were feeling similar things with that lyric. 

This Taylor Swift album is one of her most popular, breaking records merely hours after its release. It is a fantastic album and I recommend every music lover to listen to the album at least once. (But you’ll probably end up listening to it more than once.)