REVIEW - West Side Story, 2021 | Teen Ink

REVIEW - West Side Story, 2021

November 15, 2022
By Anonymous

West Side Story - 2021

If you are thinking of watching this movie, grab the tissues. There are so many plot twists!!

This film and story is based off of the original Shakespearean play, Romeo and Juliet. It also  has its own original version from the 60’s. But, let me tell you, the reimagined version is EVEN better. Here’s why. 

1. The casting. First off, Ariana DeBose is brilliant. The first time I’ve ever seen her in anything was as a backup dancer for the Broadway musical, Hamilton, and I instantly knew there was something so unique about her. She really stepped into Anita’s character so well. I watched an interview / read an article about how hard it was for her to step into that role, being both Latina and Black. She explained how difficult it is to step into certain roles when you are not “fully” something. People tend to categorize everyone and say you can only belong to one group. Allowing Ariana to step into this role is aiding in breaking that stereotype and is showing everyone that you can be half Black / half Latina and step into one of those roles. Ansel Elgort, who played Tony, in this movie at first glance from the trailer I didn’t think it would work, but there was something about the chemistry between Rachel and Ansel. It was stellar and unmatchable. I caught myself sitting back in my seat and quite literally holding my hands to my mouth because they were so cute and believable together! Also, who knew Ansel could sing! I had no idea. He really shocked me there. Overall, the rest of the casting was top notch and just so amazing. Like Mike Faist and the woman who played Valentina. Amazing. 

2. The music. The soundtrack was killer. I was seriously blown away at the vocals, which connects to my Ansel point. He was so good and I had no idea he could sing?! Anyway, Rachel also did a really great job. She hit some high notes that I didn’t even know could be reached. She really just has an incredible high soprano voice. Blew me away. And of course Ariana was amazing and just always blows me away because she can literally do anything so flawlessly. Just great vocals all around. Though the soundtrack was the same as the 60’s version, I found this one hit a lot harder. 

3. The choreography. I have been reading from previous reviews that a lot of the dancing was borrowed from the original, and I certainly didn’t mind! It was simply so good. Apparently Ariana’s shoes melted off a couple times on set during those scenes out in the hot sun on the hot cement. Huge commitment from everyone involved. 

4. The hidden messages. I really liked the addition of a non-binary character because I feel like it’s important to be aware and inclusive of every gender. And portraying that in a movie really will help that awareness. I am really glad we have some good LGBTQ+ representation nowadays.  I also liked the bits of Spanish speaking in the show. It really brought out more culture and was a treat for everyone who understands even bits of spanish. It was very fun to see the diversity in the show’s people.

Overall, an incredibly well done show. If you can, definitely watch it. It deserves so much more credit. I promise, you will not regret it.