Far from the Madding Crowd | Teen Ink

Far from the Madding Crowd

By AlaNova ELITE, Naperville, Illinois
AlaNova ELITE, Naperville, Illinois

Dalai Lama said, "There are only two days in the year that nothing can be done. One is called YESTERDAY and the other is called TOMORROW, so today is the right day to love, believe, do, and mostly live..."

Young Bathsheba Everdene (Carey Mulligan) is struck by fortune when her late uncle leaves all his possessions to her, including his thriving, vibrant farm. At the same time, farmer Gabriel Oak (Matthais Schoenaerts) loses all he has. By chance, he is employed at the very manor Bathsheba regains from her uncle, and falls for the fierce, charming young lady; as do a handsome young soldier (Tom Sturridge) and a seasoned, older bachelor (Michael Sheen).

A whirlwind pleasure for the eye as well as the heart, the latest film adaptation of Thomas Hardy’s classic is a splendid romance from the start. It sweeps through the endless, wild fields of Victorian era England, and the colorful, blooming countryside is seen in our heroine Bathsheba, a young woman full of lovely youth and wildness. We discover her as a worthy heroine in no ordinary tale of the love.

Her amours are far from ordinary, too, and the film is actually set up as more than a clever four-way love story. From the sensitive, modest Farmer Oak, to the noble William Boldwood, a wealthy man, to the disarmingly arrogant Francis Troy, Bathsheba will find herself in the choice between three different men and the lives they offer, at a time where a woman’s ability to influence her own life was more than overlooked. It’s a charming setup from the start, full of unexpected surprises and plenty of tricks up its sleeve.

But Bathsheba’s exhilarating strength as a central character is the most pronounced joy of the film. We ride on the wings of the wind as she encounters a life full of passion and grief, never resting, never losing hope. Seeing the world so clearly through her eyes is rare, and ultimately rewarding; we understand her mistakes and sorrows, and revel in her joy. And above all, we admire the fierceness and strength of her spirit, drawn from her genuine passion and skills; throughout the movie, we watch as she sculpts who she becomes, a soul set free far from the madding crowd.

What does "THHRe" stand for? Good question! It's THE HOLY HITCHHIKE’S REVIEW...A shorter version of the Hitchhike, reviews principally concerning books, movies, and music. Enjoy, and let loose your commentary and suggestions below. A new column of THH every Friday!