A Brave Heart: The Lizzie Velasquez Story | Teen Ink

A Brave Heart: The Lizzie Velasquez Story

By Jean-Paul BRONZE, Ayer, Massachusetts
Jean-Paul BRONZE, Ayer, Massachusetts

"Believe you can and you're halfway there"
~~Theodore Roosevelt

The most recent movie that I rented was the brand new documentary “A Brave Heart: The Lizzie Velasquez Story.” This movie has a very strong meaning to it, and an amazing woman to tell her story, growing up with a mystery disease, and putting up with bullies.

Elizabeth Velasquez, an American motivational speaker and author, decided to make this documentary to tell others her story and show how she is “fighting back in a different way.” She lives with a disease which, among other symptoms, stops her from gaining body fat. Throughout the whole film, it shows her on her journey, giving many speeches to schools, girl scouts, even just people she passes on the street.

Lizzie is a very sweet person who talks about her experiences with going to school and having even her “friends” laugh and make fun of her. This movie is very inspirational for all the teens who have complications with bullies. And Lizzie clearly shows you can do anything your heart desires.

During the film, it showed many of Lizzie’s memories. For example: videos of her trying out for the cheerleading team (and making it onto the team), photos of her and her father on the first day of school. I loved that the film included her trip to Washington DC and how it shows not only she made it clear that she was there to pass a law, but the health complications that she fought through during the trip. She is such a hard worker and all of this is really paying off. Many people are listening to her and want to join her in the journey.

I learned that whatever anyone ever says about you, just move on. Lizzie is a great role model for this act. She has proved time and time again, she is a better person than all the people who picked on her. I think this will impact many teenagers’ lives as of mine because, bullying has always been a problem and will remain that way. Over many years, it has only gotten worse, especially with social media being a big part of it.

I would recommend this movie to anyone, including teenagers who have very low self-esteem about their body image, their sexuality, etc. People my age need to know that there is a way to overcome fear and self-hatred. And that there are people out in the world fighting for you. If you are being bullied, please reach out to someone you trust. If anyone is feeling suicidal, here is a number you can call to get the help you need: 1-800-273-8255, They are available 24/7.