The Best of Me | Teen Ink

The Best of Me

By rosenbushe BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin
rosenbushe BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin

The movie The Best of Me is a tear jerker written by Nicholas Sparks. I don’t have a negative comment to say toward this movie, but I’m not sure I was a fan of the ending. I’m a hopeless romantic, so of course I can say this is one of my all-time favorite movies. I love absolutely everything about Michelle Monaghan’s character, Amanda. She is so passionate, and she really shows that she is in love with James Marsden’s character, Dawson. In this movie, there was a younger version and an older version of Dawson and Amanda. The actors behind all four of these characters really shows and makes the audience feel the emotion and tension between Dawson and Amanda. 

The story is about a character named Dawson Cole who returns to his hometown for the first time in twenty years. When he arrives, Dawson is surprised to find that Tuck, the man who took care of him during high school, has set up for Dawson’s high school girlfriend to be there. He wasn’t expecting to have Amanda join him in fulfilling their last wish to Tuck. They were high school sweetheart, but they weren’t just any couple. They had many conflicts from the time they met. Amanda and Dawson were soul mates who met at high school, but they were from different backgrounds. When Dawson and Amanda came back to Tuck’s old house, they weren’t expecting to bump into each other.  It’s obvious that when Amanda and Dawson first see each other after twenty years, there are still sparks flying. There is a bit of a conflict though. You’ll have to watch the movie to find out what happens with Dawson and Amanda. I’m not going to spill the beginning or the end.  I will tell you it is definitely a wonderful movie and in order to understand what I told you, you’ll have to watch from the beginning of the movie when they first met in high school.

Watching the trailer of this movie back on August 11, 2014 got me hooked on watching The Best of Me.  After just watching a two minute trailer of this movie, I was dying to see more. I had to wait for two more months to see this movie. I began to grow so impatient. Those two months felt like years, because I was so interested in seeing it.  There was a part in the trailer when Dawson said, “It’s been what twenty years? You look better than ever.” That’s what gave me the impression he still had feelings for her.

If you’re a fan of romantic, sappy, love stories, this is one of the many I recommend. Even if you have already read the book, you should watch the movie. You know how people say if you watch the movie it totally ruins the book? In this case, I think the movie was just as good, maybe even better than the book.

I recommend this movie because it doesn’t just show the love between these two characters.  This movie also shows the heartache, pain, and conflicts that come along with the love between two people. It shows you that love isn’t always easy. You are going to have to work at it, but if its true love, it’s all worth it in the end. 

When I watched this movie it felt real to me, it showed me the conflicts that two people have to go through during their lives.