The Mortal Instruments | Teen Ink

The Mortal Instruments

The Mortal Instruments: Too Mundane?

In today’s society teens tend to favor fantasy movies because they bring an escape for viewers. We get to experience the impossible and it gives us a place to find comfort and relief from real life by emerging into the life of the character(s). Some of the most popular stories today are fantasies: The Hunger Games, The Mortal Instruments, Divergent, and Twilight.
The genre fantasy in my opinion is so popular especially with teens is because we are trying to get through our everyday lives and sometimes they suck. When going through hard times we like to use things such as fantasies to cover up and hide from the bad times in our own lives. Fantasies are a great escape since everything in them are of the impossible and very unrealistic. Us teens in high school can probably relate to being put in “factions” like in Divergent or a “survival of the fittest” situation like in The Hunger Games.
The Mortal Instruments’ protagonist, Clarissa “Clary” Fray (played by Lily Collins), is looking for her mom (played by Lena Heady) who is kidnapped by her father (played by Jonathan Rhys Meyers) and learns the world she lives in isn’t really the world she has come to know and love. Much like in Twilight Clary gets sucked into a world that exists within the one she thought she knew. Just like all fantasies Clary meets a boy and suddenly her life is joining with the supernatural world. Clary realizes that her life was not at all what she thought since her mom put a block on her mind to make her forget of the Shadowhunter world. Clary fights Valentine, who turns out to be her father, just to save the boy she loves and get back her mother.
For me The Mortal Instruments movie was overall disappointing. For someone like me who read the book series was expecting a lot. Sure the movie had the action and romance scene but it still left out important parts. They also added parts that occur later in the book series. The effects were good and the actor choice was almost dead on for the characters description (they even incorporated the hot British actor for the lead) but it was stilling missing the push it needed. In some parts of the movie I felt as though it was dragging on and that the director just needed to put a filler in for that particular spot in the movie. I had to wait until book three to learn that Clary and Jace (played by Jamie Campbell Bower) aren’t really brother and sister but the directors added it into the first movie. The Mortal Instrument: City of Bones was a letdown and a disappointment. I for one can wait for the sequel to come out.