Bowling for Columbine | Teen Ink

Bowling for Columbine MAG

"Columbine." When you hear that word, what do you think? I think about fear, guns and tragedy. "Bowling for Columbine" is a significant, award-winning documentary by Michael Moore, and I think all teenagers should see it.

There are no stars, only Moore travelling the country and talking to real people. This documentary gives every viewer a reality-check on many topics including gun control, racism, U.S. history and the story of Columbine High School and its aftershock felt around the country. You may find some scenes disturbing while others are actually amusing, which is hard to believe since Moore is focusing on guns and violence.

There are many shocking moments, even footage from inside Columbine from school videocameras, and interviews with students who faced the tragedy. This movie tries to analyze our gun culture and why teenagers would take such drastic action. While it doesn't answer the questions, it raises many issues and will help you look at our country differently.

I will tell you the truth: this movie isn't always exciting. It was quite slow the first time I saw it, but after watching it again, it was exceptionally rewarding. The scenes and interviews began coming together and I learned many lessons and shocking facts. Watch it, and you will learn our country isn't as peaceful as you think.