The Producers (2005) | Teen Ink

The Producers (2005)

The story begins with a conman, Max Bialystock (Nathan Lane), whose career as a Broadway producer has resulted in many failed productions and left him on the brink of poverty. Leo Bloom (Matthew Broderick), an accountant hired to do the books for Bialystock, realizes early on that given the right circumstances, "a producer could make more money with a flop than he could with a hit." Thus Bialystock's great scheme is born. The two men quickly hatch a plan to pull together all of the elements to make an unsuccessful show: a play praising Adolf Hitler, the worst director in town and two million dollars from an endless number of little old ladies. The movie quickly develops into a musical driven by the men's desire to be rich, following them from the conception to the production of their play and including the events that occur after the much-anticipated opening night.

Being a fan of the original 1968 film of the same name, my expectations were high when I went to see this movie in theaters. The costumes were excellent, the sets were reminiscent of their Broadway counterparts which proved effective and every musical number was hilarious; everything that I expected from a Mel Brooks film. I highly recommend this movie to all fans the Broadway show which it is largely based off of as well as the original film. With so much humor and energy packed into every scene, the movie is very appealing to viewers thirteen and older.