The Hunger Games | Teen Ink

The Hunger Games

By Lexie96 GOLD, Havana, Illinois
Lexie96 GOLD, Havana, Illinois

Now Cinderella don't you go to sleep, it's such a bitter form of refuge, oh don't you know the kingdom's under siege, and everbody needs you. - The Killers

May the odds be ever in my favor, so I prayed as I entered the theater at 8:30 p.m., March 22. May the odds be ever in my favor, and may Hollywood please, please have finally gotten the adaption right… please, don’t let this be another Golden Compass, not another Percy Jackson, not another major disappointment. I sat in that theater for five hours and fifty-two minutes, the first three-and-a-half of which were spent with a sick feeling in my stomach; I left the theater at 2:42 p.m., on my face I had the biggest smile.

For those of you who have read the books, you will know all about the logic behind the games. For those of you who have not, here’s a quick rundown of Panem’s history, Panem being the country in which the film takes place. This thriller is set in the ruins of a region once called North America, during war it was broken into districts, 13 to be exact, but only 12 are in use. To ensure that war does not go on again, the government has set up the Hunger Games, in order to show that they have control. Basically, if you are a child between the ages of 12 and 18, your name is in the cards, if you are called, you will be put into an arena and left to fight to the death. Happy Hunger Games, indeed!

Our lead, Katniss Everdeen, is played by Oscar-nominee Jennifer Lawrence, who, although years older than her character, shows her chops by portraying the part beautifully. This is her story, and we’re with her through it all, from the moment she steps up to take her sister’s place in the dreaded games, to the end. Through anxious eyes we watch as she fights off many predators within the arena, plays up love to the cameras, and proves to us that a girl from the poorest district can kick some serious ass.

As Peeta Mellark, Josh Hutcherson brings a tragic depth to the boy tribute, the one with whom Lawrence finds herself reaching unsettling feelings towards. As things heat up between the two you will find yourself wondering, how much is for the cameras, and how much is legit? While those two share a cave, we also get to see sneaks of what is going on in the other districts, as well as what’s going on with Gale, (Liam Hemsworh), the boy that Katniss has left behind at home.

All in all this is a remarkable thriller, an adaption that fans will leave happy with, and that first-timers will be glad to watch again.

Aderes47 GOLD said...
Aderes47 GOLD, Cambridge, Massachusetts

You will find as you look back upon your life that the moments when you have truly lived are the moments when you have done things in the spirit of love.
Henry Drummond

I actually liked the book a lot better than the movie! I've hated the book but loved the movie! Can't wait for the next one!