Sweeney Todd: Demon Barber of Fleet Street | Teen Ink

Sweeney Todd: Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Yet again, Johnny Depp has amazed me with, what I believe, to be his best performance to date. “Sweeney Todd” must be one of the most twisted, sickening, and over all greatest movies I have ever seen. This is why it was perfect to have Johnny Depp as the lead role. He is amazing in playing twisted, sick, and strange roles. However, there were many mixed reviews for it. Some people just didn’t like it while others thought it was a masterpiece.

“Sweeney Todd” is about a barber, Benjamin Parker, who returns to London after many years of living in exile. In the beginning of the movie you find out that a high class judge stole his wife, whom was pregnant with his daughter. He returns to London with a new name, Sweeney Todd, revenge. Using his “friends,” or his straight razors, he kills all of his customers because of the hatred he has towards the people of London. By doing this, he believes he is gaining revenge.

In every movie there needs to be a way to get rid of the victims, or hide the evidence. In this movie, this is done in the most sickening and disturbed way. Depp’s costar, Helena Bonham Carter, plays Mrs. Lovett, the restaurant owner under Sweeney Todd’s barber shop. Mrs. Lovett is known for making the worst meat pies in London, but now she has a new source of meat. Every Victim of Sweeney Todd is now fresh meat for Mrs. Lovett’s meat pies; making them the best meat pies in London.

Throughout the movie I was really enjoying myself. I was actually always paying close attention throughout the entire movie which I almost never do. This was the first musical that I actually liked and it is now one of my favorite movies. Although there are probably a lot of people who would think of this movie as pointless, there are many, including me, who believe this to be a true masterpiece.