The Darjeeling Limited | Teen Ink

The Darjeeling Limited

November 4, 2007
By Halley Balkovich SILVER, Springfield, Oregon
Halley Balkovich SILVER, Springfield, Oregon
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The Darjeeling Limited may not be one of writer/director Wes Anderson's best films, but it retains a quirky sense of humanity and endearing character that makes it worth the whole two hours.

This film tells the story of Jack, Peter and Francis Whitman, three American brothers who have not spoken to each other in over a year. After Francis gets into a near fatal motorcycle accident, he decides to bring his siblings together and take a spiritual journey across India in order to repair their broken relationship.

Let me state first that if you did not like any of Anderson's previous films, then you will most definitely hate this movie. It's his directing to the very core, using all of his MO's and usual tricks to make a captivating, if not ridiculously long dark comedy that is truly about the family ties that bind.

It contains just the kind of humor I've come to love- ranging from subtle, one-liner jokes to outrageous chases involving cobras, pepper spray and dubious bottles of cough medicine. The actors take this humor to the very next level by putting their all into even the most ridiculous scenes, so the audience needs no help completely submersing themselves in what's going on.

For all its merit, The Darjeeling Limited leaves something to be desired in the realm of things happening. It's a film that requires some patience from its viewers, as it has quite a few empty spots that could, in the end, have been edited out to help the flow. I mean, I love the shots of the India, they're beautiful, but I think I could deal with maybe less than a half an hour of them.

All in all, this movie is a slow moving treat that has it's own very unique style and pace. It demands a lot from it's audience, but in the end gives a lot back, and I would definately recommend it to anyone who wants to try it out.