The Truth About Cats and Dogs | Teen Ink

The Truth About Cats and Dogs

October 9, 2007
By StephanieMichelle GOLD, Bledsoe, Kentucky
StephanieMichelle GOLD, Bledsoe, Kentucky
17 articles 8 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
The person, be it gentleman or lady, whom does not take pleasure in a good book must be incredibly stupid. --- Jane Austen


"The Truth About Cats and Dogs"

As someone who's best friend is totally more attractive than me, I completely related to and fell in love with the 1996 movie "The Truth About Cats and Dogs" and consider it to be one of my favorite movies. The movie stars funnywoman Janeane Garofalo, Uma Thurman in an early role, and exceptionally devilishly charming Ben Chaplin. (Also co-stars Jamie Foxx and has a special surprise voice cameo from Robin Williams.)
Dr. Abby Barnes is a successfull veterinarian/ radio show host who is a frequent victim of low-self esteem, especially considering her neighbor is glamorous, beautiful LA model Noelle. After Abby helps out caller Brian with his dog problems, he is completely stricken with her "cleverness" and insists that they meet, however, Abby is certain that she is the last person on earth that he would ever want to be in the same room with and blows him off. After a series of random, albeit significant, events that put Abby and Noelle in the same room as Brian, Abby panics and convinces Noelle to pretend to be her. With Noelle as the face and Abby as the voice and clever wit, they slowly become Brian's perfect woman.....the problem is that, well, you know, they've become entangled in a massive web of lies and deceit. In other words, movie magic.
"The Truth About Cats and Dogs" was directed by Michael Lehmann, the same genius that brought the cult 80s classic "Heathers." The film is rated PG-13 for brief language and one significant scene of brief sexuality. It brought Miss Garofalo her first MTV Movie Award nom, and delivers the best one-liners since Blazing Saddles. You don't have to be a fan of either cats or dogs to enjoy this movie, it's completely laugh-out-loud funny and totally worth your time. Five stars! *does jazz hands*.