Stardust | Teen Ink

Stardust

October 7, 2007
By StephanieMichelle GOLD, Bledsoe, Kentucky
StephanieMichelle GOLD, Bledsoe, Kentucky
17 articles 8 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
The person, be it gentleman or lady, whom does not take pleasure in a good book must be incredibly stupid. --- Jane Austen


"Stardust"

If you scramble the letters around in the words "chick flick" you might come up with "Stardust." This 2007 romantic fantasy was deemed by Hollywood critics as a box office disappointment, and however much love I have for Ebert and Roper, I have to disagree with them.
The plot of the movie is as follows: Eighteenth century English boy Tristan travels into the mystical world of 'Wall' for a week-long mission to retrieve the falling star that will ensure the heart of the love of his life. When he arrives at the landing spot, he is surprised to see that the star is actually in the shape of a woman and her name is Yvane --- a hard-headed, tell-it-like-it-is, albeit beautiful thousands of years old star. On their journey back to Tristan's village, they run into the path of brother princes, all in a feverous and deadly search for the necklace that will ensure their passage to the throne ---- and, yes, it's one of those accessories hot enough to kill for.
Claire Danes makes her return to the big screen as Yvane the star in the first time in forever (she probably has been in a bunch of movies, but they've fallen under the radar.) Also starring is british cutie Charlie Cox (whom should really get more roles because he is gorgeous!) Co-stars include former Catwoman herself, Michelle Pfeiffer in the second role this year (first was the hit remake "Hairspray"), a hysterically funny Robert De Niro (if you can believe it, he plays closeted pirate Captain Shakespeare....yes, I said closeted), and although her role is limited to less than five or six scenes, Sienna Miller also makes an appearance as Tristan's would-be one true love.
Setting aside that making Charlie Cox and Sienna Miller potential love interests kind of disturbed me a little bit ---- they played brother and sister in 2005's romantic comedy "Casanova" ---- "Stardust" was actually a very cute, light-hearted story. Perhaps not suited for audiences looking for a more serious and less-highly fantastical movie, but definitely one for all those suckers for the classic romantic comedies.
"Stardust" fell to theatres this summer, but didn't come out in my back-woods town theatre until a few weeks ago. Critics may have given it a less than excellent rating, but ,then again, they didn't ask me. it's rated PG 13, and lasts a little over an hour and a half. Sit back, relax, bring a Kleenex, and enjoy.